Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the sales pitches from Scuba Pro is "Near-Zero inherent buoyancy means less lead." Can anyone who has used the Hydros Pro comment on whether they used less lead as compared to a traditional jacket style BCD? I dive 7mm in California and 1mm in Caribbean and am wondering if there would be a reduction in weight and if so how much?
I switched to 100 and 80 steel tanks this year so I can't give much in the way of lead weight reduction for the Hydros. But there is really no foam or anything except the bladder that would hold buoyant air at the surface. Hydros really does fit like a glove.

Having dunked both the Stiletto and the Hydros while cleaning, it's obvious the Hydros is considerably less buoyant than the Stiletto. If I had to guess, maybe 3-4 pounds of lead would make the Stiletto neutrally buoyant. Next time I have both BCDs I'll test that out.

I switched to 100 and 80 steel tanks this year so I can't give much in the way of lead weight reduction for the Hydros. But there is really no foam or anything except the bladder that would hold buoyant air at the surface. Hydros really does fit like a glove.

Having dunked both the Stiletto and the Hydros while cleaning, it's obvious the Hydros is considerably less buoyant than the Stiletto. If I had to guess, maybe 3-4 pounds of lead would make the Stiletto neutrally buoyant. Next time I have both BCDs I'll test that out.

Looking forward to the results of the test!

One of the sales pitches from Scuba Pro is "Near-Zero inherent buoyancy means less lead." Can anyone who has used the Hydros Pro comment on whether they used less lead as compared to a traditional jacket style BCD? I dive 7mm in California and 1mm in Caribbean and am wondering if there would be a reduction in weight and if so how much?

No weight change for me. Been perfect for over 100 dives with it. No weight chance from any of my other BCs. Funny, I never even thought about this. I use 8 lbs with a 3mm suit and I would never think of changing because of the Hydros. Marketing fluff I say.

After much consideration, I took the plunge and purchased a Hydros Pro today. I configured it for travel mode (without the integrated weight pockets) and plan to try it out later this week. This will be my first back inflate. I will start with my current weight configuration and see if I think I can drop any lead. Will post back with any news.

After much consideration, I took the plunge and purchased a Hydros Pro today. I configured it for travel mode (without the integrated weight pockets) and plan to try it out later this week. This will be my first back inflate. I will start with my current weight configuration and see if I think I can drop any lead. Will post back with any news.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Look forward to reading another user' experience.

Btw, do you dive steel or aluminum tanks. I did notice trim weights were unnecessary with the steels.

Look forward to reading another user' experience.

Btw, do you dive steel or aluminum tanks. I did notice trim weights were unnecessary with the steels.
I use aluminum tanks. I put 4 pounds (2 each side) in trim pockets and have 16 pounds on a weight belt. I still like to dive with a weight belt, old habits, and I recently started taking my bcd and tank off in the water and tie it off. I think it would be hard to pull on board with another 16 pounds. I plan to test the new Hydros Pro tomorrow. If I am a little heavy on lead, that will be good because I want to practice with the back inflate and make sure I am comfortable with it. I typically dive a bit light on weight, rarely inflate the bcd underwater and only inflate the bcd on the surface because I am tying it off.

Cathy, as a Hydros Pro "veteran" - 115 dives and counting, the only advice that I would offer is to get a crotch strap. Any one will work as long as it has a 2" strap loop. Enjoy the BC!

I use aluminum tanks. I put 4 pounds (2 each side) in trim pockets and have 16 pounds on a weight belt. I still like to dive with a weight belt, old habits, and I recently started taking my bcd and tank off in the water and tie it off. I think it would be hard to pull on board with another 16 pounds. I plan to test the new Hydros Pro tomorrow. If I am a little heavy on lead, that will be good because I want to practice with the back inflate and make sure I am comfortable with it. I typically dive a bit light on weight, rarely inflate the bcd underwater and only inflate the bcd on the surface because I am tying it off.

Gotcha. As easy as the weight pockets are to remove single handedly, you could try pulling them before getting back on board. That's my method.

I also like to don my rig in the water and the Hydros really makes it easy without a normal cummerbund and also the shoulder straps are very easily manipulated in the water. Pulling the BC out of the water is also very easy with an ergonomic handle on the backplate.

Cathy, as a Hydros Pro "veteran" - 115 dives and counting, the only advice that I would offer is to get a crotch strap. Any one will work as long as it has a 2" strap loop. Enjoy the BC!

I almost want to use a crotch strap with mine. Diving for lobster has me inverted quite a bit and the weights do like to slide the BC up into my rib cage a bit especially with any neoprene being used. I think my other option would be to get some thigh pockets and clip them to the rings on each side to help stabilize the BC while inverted.

Back
Top Bottom