Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ prtfoliomgr,

I would recommend you watch the 15 min presentation by one the ScubaPro engineers - it doesn't come off as a cynical marketing piece, I found it quite helpful & informative.

Just IMO -

That's not just one of the engineers...that's Rhys, the inventor of the Seawing Nova and the Hydros BCD. (I wish that he would invent a new computer for SP too).

I'll post pics tomorrow, can't post now it's 12:30 AM.
This pic is the back pack it comes with and my Nova fins.

That's not just one of the engineers...that's Rhys, the inventor of the Seawing Nova and the Hydros BCD. (I wish that he would invent a new computer for SP too).

Isn't that the truth. SP seems to have reinvented itself with so many interesting products in bouyancy and propulsion, but in computers, a field which they excelled in with Uwatec , the category seems stalled despite their aquisions.

I would love to see a video of this BCD in the water that isn't a ScubaPro Marketing Piece. I dive 100% of the time in my DSS bp/w, but I have to buy a BCD for my IDC/IE in May. After looking at this BC it looks like I can take off the integrated weights and use the "travel tec weight belt provided " ( ha! ha! hilarious that it comes with a "tec belt". I would never take anything plastic to tec depth) This bcd looks like it might be the closest BCD on the market to my bp/w for when I am teaching.... well not really... but closer than any other back inflate BC that I have seen so far. Anyone have any other ideas?

Yes. If you dive a DSS BP/W, and only need the BCD for IDC/IE...why on earth would you pay the money ScubaPro is asking for this BCD. I have one, I use it when I teach because those are the shop rules...but I did not buy it, it was provided to be. It is a nice BCD, but when I am diving outside of a shop hosted activity...I wear my DSS BP/W.

Save money and buy the cheapest BCD you can find if you will only use it for the IDC/IE.

I just got mine this week. I have to say I am super pleased. The comfort of the monoprene harness is amazing. It feels like it was custom made for me. I am sure there are people that feel like a floppy harness is just as comfortable, but it doesn't feel that way to me. It is kind of like the difference between a comfortable chair and a park bench. Plenty of people have no complaints about a wooden bench. I'm just not one of them. I can also see the comfort factor discounted more by those wearing thicker wetsuits. Once you get to 5mm or more, I think the comfort of the harness becomes irrelevant.

I like the attachment points and really dig the travel bag. With the Air 2, and the full harness with weight pouches, the BC comes in a little over 8lbs. Its not a featherweight, but not bad either. I plan to add a few of the accessories as they become easier to come by.

I modified mine. Eventually. I dive it a lot and wanted smaller weight pockets and a real buckle on the waist strap. I just find it easier to tighten a traditional buckle when I need to compensate for wetsuit compression at depth.

So I removed the Buckle Weight System and installed the TravelTek straps.

Then I cut the TravelTek straps on each side and had a 24" piece of real weight belt straps sewn on at each end. This allowed me to install two Molle weight pockets and a real buckle. I only use 8lbs of lead in a 3mm. (4 in the trim pockets and 4 on the belt). I also made a custom crotch strap. Net result is that this configuration is even more stable than from the factory. Bonus: I can also add the usual stuff like like a knife on the 2" belt. The SP orginal belt is too soft and lightweight to do any of this.

Pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

20170429_075655.jpg
20170429_075655.jpg
20170429_075732.jpg

The only drawback is the accessories aren't available yet.

The only drawback is the accessories aren't available yet.
My LDS has the various bungee loops, add-on pockets, and knife mount. The only thing I have not seen is the crotch strap that is mentioned on the Scubapro website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom