Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS has had a whole rack full for a while.

Is the Hydros Pro reasonably available at LDS's now? It was in almost non-existent supply when I looked early in the spring.
The back order status is much better now.

I was curious about how the Hydro will hold-up over time. Below is a link to a Q&A posting on a warranty issue with the Hyrdo Pro. Based on the Q&A thread, I will contact a few instructors that uses the Hyrdo Pro BCD on a daily basis.

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

I was curious about how the Hydro will hold-up over time. Below is a link to a Q&A posting on a warranty issue with the Hyrdo Pro. Based on the Q&A thread, I will contact a few instructors that uses the Hyrdo Pro BCD on a daily basis.

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped
Reading through the linked post I just have to laugh. "ScubaPro states that the BC was not designed to be lifted up by the shoulder straps", was this warning in the owners manual? Who in the hell would design a BC that was not supposed to be lifted by the straps? Seems like an after thought only when they started having problems then they started backpedaling. Did they actually test this BC in real world condition or did they take a couple on a live aboard where you sit on a bench to put on your gear. When SP started advertising this BC they said that it would be a real "game changer", has anyone figured out what the "game" is yet? I have not had any problems with the shoulder straps on my back plate. Hell, if my car ever got stuck in a ditch while I was diving I could pull out the ten feet of webbing and use it as a tow strap and it would still be fine.

I'm just a newb, but I did try on a Hydros in Hawaii last week and really liked it. In it's defense, it's been designed with soft, flexible shoulder straps for comfort, so they also included a carry handle built into the 'backplate'. I'm a hands-on guy so I feel like I'd notice the shoulder pads straining and stretching in my hand if tried to lift it with a tank on it, but I can imagine others not noticing or paying attention...

Edit: I just realized it could be pretty tough to don a BC w/o lifting by the shoulder straps! (assuming you're not next to a bench/table).

https://media.thesimplygroup.com/stockimages/Scubapro_Hydros_Pro_Womens_BCD/275852/1/3/391/500.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom