Has anyone used a Mares Proton V32 XL reg???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isp475

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has used a Mares Proton V32 XL regulator set. It is one of their new ones. I am looking for a first time reg for my wife and I and happended to find a great deal on that particular reg through an authorized dealer. It normally runs $589, but is on sale for $299. I had been looking at the Aqualung Titan LXand the Scubapro S550 Mk16 as other possible regs. Any thoughts on these would be great, especially the Mares. Thanks for any help you may provide.

isp475 once bubbled...
I would like to know if anyone has used a Mares Proton V32 XL regulator set. It is one of their new ones. I am looking for a first time reg for my wife and I and happended to find a great deal on that particular reg through an authorized dealer. It normally runs $589, but is on sale for $299. I had been looking at the Aqualung Titan LXand the Scubapro S550 Mk16 as other possible regs. Any thoughts on these would be great, especially the Mares. Thanks for any help you may provide.

This is probably going to start another heated debate, so let me start by saying that I am in no way affiliated with Mares or HTM(parent company). I got my handle from my mates becasue I was buying so much Mares equipment.

I have the Proton V16, V32 and Abyss regs. I also have Sherwood, Apex and Aqualung (my son is a diving instructor and Navy Seal). All of the regs you mention are good regs. Your selection from your list should come from price, service and type/location of diving.

I am currently diving (warm water) with the V16 Proton because I like the way it breathes (very dry in any position). It is also a very light and comfortable reg, as is the V32 Proton. They are both spec'd to work in water approx 50degF and above. The Abyss is used for cold water (though, I am doing that less and less). I also like the no-adjustment features on the Mares regs (but that is just me).

I would say that you (or your wife) should try them (if you can) to see which one you prefer and then weigh the pluses and minuses. Hope this helps.

Whatever you decide, have fun dive smart and dive safe.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Thanks for your reply. I have a LDS that has the Scubapro and Aqaulung regs and they said I could try them both. They are authorized dealers for Mares and service them as well, but don't stock their regs for some reason. This particular shop really likes to push Scubapro. I will be trying the ones they have to see how they work. We will primarily be diving warmer waters, 55 and up. The vast majority of the time, our dives will be in the HI area, with a few in the Midwest and once or twice up in Canada during the summer months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom