Has Banda been fished out??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a group of friends was last month in Banda ( LOB Triton Bay - Banda - Ambon ) and confirmed : very nice coral but no fish ….

should have seen me 30 years ago.

For various very nice reasons (a big birthday and two anniversaries) we are lucky enough to have been to Kalimaya , Bali , Alor , Lembeh and Ambon in the last two years. Alor, Lembeh on the coral sites and also Bali all had lots of fish. The house reef in Kalimaya had excellent fish life and this is now being expanded to form an MPA.

Remember Bill’s second rule: no matter where you go, and how great you think it is, there will be someone that was there five or 30 years ago “when it was really great!”
Umm.... If you say so.

My first visit to Banda Neira was some 30 years ago (1989, the year after Gunung Api erupted) when the dive trip was arranged by and accompanied by Om Des (Uncle Des) who is otherwise known as Des Alwi. My memory has dimmed over the years, but I am still able to retrieve some fragments. I recall seeing a whale from the plane prior to landing at the BN airport. I am happy to report that there are still whales in the area, as you will be able to ascertain from my November 2018 video. Another fond memory was that as the plane taxied to a stop after landing, there was someone trotting beside it pushing a wheelbarrow with a fire extinguisher in it. It took me a moment to realise that it was the Banda Neira airport fire engine!

In terms of diving highlights I recall seeing Spanish dancers, a dugong, and large schools of fish 30 years ago. To me, Banda is still worthwhile but much depends on timing... tide, moon phase... For example, in my October video you will see the school of tuna which was at Batu Kapal just outside Bada Neira. The tide and moon phase was right, so the fish were there. When I dived Batu Kapal in November and December, the fish were not there. Tide and moon phase ..., No current, no fish.

...The tide and moon phase was right, so the fish were there. When I dived Batu Kapal in November and December, the fish were not there. Tide and moon phase ..., No current, no fish....

Not true in Cocos. I just sit on the rock (literally) and watch the parade of hammerheads passing by. Don't feel guilty sitting on the rock, as it is just rock, not much coral there.

What have you heard about being in Banda January, February and March? Sounds like the wrong time of the year.

... I wait for your report Dan ( usually very detailed ) before to decide

The pressure is on me now. LOL. It'll be awhile. I won't be there until September & then will be in Raja Ampat in January 2020

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom