Has Cozumel become an Unreliable dive destination ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Given all the recent reports of diving being shut down unannounced due to things like 'special sporting events': ironman, bike races, and now alarmingly frequent, random 'port closings' by an excessively conservative/inexperienced/incompetent/clueless/newbie "port captain", I'm seriously questioning the reliability of planning dive trips to Cozumel!

Anyone else concerned where these trends are heading ?

no, you are exaggerating the issue. Even if the port is closed for some nonweather event you can snorkle, shore dive at chaankanab, cenote dive in playa, go to the leeward side when the wind shifts, bike,hike, etc.

Given all the recent reports of diving being shut down unannounced due to things like 'special sporting events': ironman, bike races, and now alarmingly frequent, random 'port closings' by an excessively conservative/inexperienced/incompetent/clueless/newbie "port captain", I'm seriously questioning the reliability of planning dive trips to Cozumel!

If the reports in here of the port closings tell of all of them, it is still a very low percentage of the time.

I don't think that all either. When I started coming I would only stay 5-7 days. I'm seen port closed 3 days in a big Norte. I've seen people that don't get to dive at all on a 4 day trip due to nortes. The other stuff like ironman brings so much money and publicity to the island and just have to work around it. I'm staying 3weeks in January and if port is closed its cantina hopping time. So the key is stay longer. ��

I think there are several issues at play. 1. Divers are going during "Norte" season....sometimes, just like baseball...you get hit with a weather delay. 2. Apparently there is a new harbor master who may be pulling the trigger a little quick. When he does, the dive operators show up and if it is still safe to go, he seems to listen. I think there is a learning curve, and maybe some local politics involved. 3. When the port is closed, the larger boats can usually go out. Aldora has a larger boat ( I think the Felicity) that can still run and they will go to the other side of the island to dive. It matters who you dive with. 4. The other events are discoverable with a little searching or at least checking with your preferred dive op and to some degree can be planned around.In 10 years, we have been hit with a port closure 1 time. Just this year, American Airlines has horribly screwed up our travel plans on 3 out of 4 flights. I absolutely share your concerns since my time away from the real world is very limited. Between work and cattle, "Norte" season is the primary time I get to go. I'm in Cozumel to dive, everything else is just an awesome fringe benefit. Port closures worry me, and I watch the weather and wind reports for 10 days or so before we leave, but the airlines are far more likely to take a diving day away than a Norte.For the diving, price, food, people, ease of travel, knowledge of the island, familiarity of dive ops, it's still Coz for me! See you there!!!!! (hopefully January)Jay

Yeah, the port closings have me a little anxious too. When I go to Cozumel, it's always for a short, few day trip so I want to maximize my dive time. I know I'm always risking potential weather issues, but I don't also want to risk random port closings when the weather is fine. And when I go, I go to DIVE (and eat, I guess). I don't know anything about the Ironman closures, but at least those could be planned around, I assume?

I'm not about to find a new favorite dive destination, but hopefully the new guy will get enough grief from the well respected dive shops (that bring many, many people to the island) that he will ease up a bit.

Jay posted at the same time as me - good point about airlines. Flight issues stand a much higher chance of affecting a dive vacation than port closures.

Last edited:
I will continue to dive Cozumel and plan to head back down in about 10 days, after a grueling 28 day absence. The normal El Norte season is beginning and odds are fair that I may, legitimately loose a day or two to the weather, I understand this. What bothers me is the new Port Captain seems to be making the situation worse.
On the last Saturday of September he closed the port to small traffic in the afternoon due to heavy rain and winds, it was legitimate. The next morning it was a sunny calm Sunday morning and the port remained closed. Around 8:45 AM he finally got around to opening the port.
As I understand it in October he was closing the port for a depression stalled to the southwest in the middle of the mainland, which was producing intermittant local heavy rain. After several days of on and off closures the local divers and dive operators gathered outside the Port Captains office. While chantting 'Open the port' and with news cameras rolling he relented and allowed a small group of operator into his office. After speaking with the reps he agreed to re-open the port and to listen them in the future.
Monday & Tuesday, a mini inconsequential 'semi - El Norte' shows up and kicks off the season. This was the first questionable weather since October's fiasco. Monday, no problem, as I understand it it was a little rough but nothing to write home about. Tuesday, calmer than Monday and he chokes, Port opens and closes like he is torn up by indecision.
I come to the island to dive, not bike, hike or visit ruins (I make an exception for baby turtles).

With the exception of the recent port closing incident and Ironman event, no I don't believe it to be the case. Yes these were pretty big blunders but it seems like public opinion/outcry will hopefully prevent similar incidents from occurring again.

Quite simply you are always gambling when you come down to Cozumel during Norte season. It's a fact.

Usually the gamble will pay off and you may only lose one or two days of diving but occasionally you can get 3-4 days of concurrent port closing. For people that do relatively short trips to Cozumel it can be disappointing but the solution is to try to plan these trips outside Norte season.

Cozumel is not unique for this I just want to point out. I've been to Belize for similar short long weekend trips and lost 2 days of diving due to port closures. I've also had port closings in Florida and Thailand.

Seriously LOLOLOL. Worst post ever. Been going for 20 years and never had a closed port day. LULz.

I'm concerned. You shouldn't go, tell everyone you know.
Especially in April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom