Has Cozumel become an Unreliable dive destination ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outsiders have little way of knowing what all to watch out for. Can somebody list the events that the harbor is at times shut down over?
All the port shutdowns I have heard about that were for man made (as opposed to weather caused) events were for a few hours or one day max. I wouldn't reschedule a vacation because of such a thing. Of course, I usually stay there long enough that a single day's lost diving is not catastrophic... unless it was the LAST dive day. That would really tick me off. Insert frowny face.

I do not know the logistics or length of Ironman events but since the race starts early in the morning, it seems that dive ops could do afternoon and twilight dives. Certainly there can be a certain degree of flexibility and compromise.

I used to visit Cozumel in Jan. However, after losing at least 2 consecutive days of diving (on each vacation)due to Nortes, I decided to adjust my schedule and visit the island in Oct. instead. So far it has worked out well. Lots of heavy rain, but typically calm seas. This last vacation is when dives were cancelled by the new harbor master but the seas were completely placid. Sure it was aggravating, but definitely a first world problem. I am incredibly lucky that it is easy for me to get to and from Cozumel. If I was one of those people who traveled a greater distance or had to deal with an overnight flight to get to the island, I imagine it would sour me on banking my vacation time and dives with uncertainty which is both reasonable(nortes) and unreasonable(unfounded port closures, events which shut down diving entire day).

I was able to dive during the last couple 1/2 Ironman races and the port was was kept open. The only problem with sports events I have heard about was last month's poorly coordinated triathlon. In the past the Ironman swim has been done from Chankanaab Park and the bike road from Puerta Maya to the Caleta was kept open for a single lane / flag car traffic, allowing access to the port. Hopefully they will stick to that routine and dive OP's can operate on Sunday

Last edited:
Here is a schedule for the upcoming world championship triathlon meet in September. It looks like the Marina / Caleta will be blocked for most of the week. I am not sure if any provisions have been made for the dive operation that have been forced to use the new Fonatur marina.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 EVENT VENUE
12:00pm to 8:00pm Open Race Expo and Packet Pick Up Fonatur Triathlon Park
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11 EVENT VENUE
5:40am to 6:40am Transition Open / Bike Check In Fonatur Triathlon Park
6:40am to 8:00am Open Race Youth 14-15 Fonatur Triathlon Park
7:00am to 9:30am Open Race Standard Distance Fonatur Triathlon Park
8:45am to 11:00am Open Race Sprint Distance Fonatur Triathlon Park
3:30pm to 4:30pm Kids Transition Open / Bike Check in Fonatur Triathlon Park
4:30pm to 4:45pm Kids 6-7 event Fonatur Triathlon Park
4:45pm to 5:00pm Kids 7-9 event Fonatur Triathlon Park
5:00pm to 5:20pm Kids 10-11 event Fonatur Triathlon Park
5:20pm to 5:50pm Kids 12-13 event Fonatur Triathlon Park
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 EVENT VENUE
12:00pm to 8:00pm ITU World Championship Expo / Packet Pick Up Fonatur Triathlon Park
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14 EVENT VENUE
8:00am to 11:15am Aquathlon World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
12:00pm to 8:00pm ITU World Championship Expo / Packet Pick Up Fonatur Triathlon Park
5:00pm to 8:00pm Opening Ceremony 5th Av. Playa del Carmen
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15 EVENT VENUE
6:45am to 11:00am Age Group Sprint World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
4:00pm to 6:30pm U23 Men World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 EVENT VENUE
9:00am to 11:30am U23 Female World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
3:00pm to 4:30pm Junior Men World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
5:00pm to 6:30pm Junior Female World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 EVENT VENUE
9:00 to 10:30am U23/Junior Mixed Relay World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
3:30pm to 6:00pm Elite Female World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 EVENT VENUE
6:45am to 12:30pm Age Group Standard World Championship Fonatur Triathlon Park
3:00pm to 5:30pm Elite Male World Champinship Fonatur Triathlon Park
6:30pm to 9:00pm Closing Ceremony TBD

Here is a link to a map which shows the courses which are centered on the marina Maps

Last edited:
It seems the government ought to maintain an online calendar of scheduled harbor closings. Scuba isn't the only water sport that could be affected. As it stands, if you book a trip, I take it there's no way to know this is going to happen unless the dive op. you booked tells you, or you spend much time on Scuba Board (which most divers don't).

It's often hard to get time off approved where I work due to staffing concerns, aside from the issue of resort openings & availability/price of airfare, so I book some trips several months in advance. And I want to wring most every dive I can out of the time & money paid. I'd like to spend a week diving Cozumel someday. The 3 times I tried on cruise ship stops, dive 2 tanks one day, & got cancelled due to weather the other 2. You could lose a day diving due to one of these events, and more due to weather (ala 'when it rains, it pours').

Since the Caleta & Fonatur both exist, would it be practical for dive op.s & other boat-based businesses at one to get moved to a slot at the other for a day? They don't both close at once do they?

Richard.

Sure. Anything that closes one is reasonably likely to close the other.

I think he was talking about scheduled closings for events not weather.

Yes. I've only seen Caleta harbor, and I don't have a good understanding of how these things work, how close the new harbor is to the old, etc...

Naturally, it'd be nice if op.s could temporarily launch from the 'other harbor' if one is closed for some sort of sports event.

Failing that, the question then becomes, is one or the other harbor likely to be the one closed more of the time? If so, then op.s based in the 'bad' harbor will be at a mild competitive disadvantage when word gets out.

If such sporting events will close both harbors at once, that is a problem.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom