Has the Oriskany settled deeper since sinking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I heard the other day at my LDS that it is believed that the Oriskany has settled another 15 feet since being sent to the bottom. That would put the flight deck at around 150 ft.

Has anyone heard this or dove the Mighty O lately that can verify this?

Thanks

It would make sense because the sediment and soil on the bottom of most of the oean in the realitivly flat areas is unconsolidated and hypersaturated material that would be prone to settlement over a long pierod of time. It will probably settle for the next five to ten years before it starts to rust away.

China is digging a hole under it so the don't have to travel so far to dive on her. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
China is digging a hole under it so the don't have to travel so far to dive on her. :D

Gary D.
no they're not...

because they already have their sweatshops churning out bootleg versions of the real thing...

way cheaper too

Jag

Next time Florida sets up a dive site maybe they could put it maybe at 300 feet or even 500. Why stop at 220 feet? Oh, and make it at least 200 miles off shore so only the Navy can get there, oh wait, it was a Navy ship that sank.

I don't get it, even for fisherman it is out to far and to deep.

I don't think the Navy should use the ocean as a dumping ground for all their junk, if some of them can be placed where they are a resource--key word--RESOURCE--that is great--otheriwse sell them for scrap and reimburse the taxpayer.

Expect it to sink at least 15 feet, that would be typical of such a massive object on a soft bottom.

N

Actually it is a wonderful dive at much less than 220 feet. You don't have to do the sand.

Nice name NEMROD:)

Nemrod:
Next time Florida sets up a dive site maybe they could put it maybe at 300 feet or even 500. Why stop at 220 feet? Oh, and make it at least 200 miles off shore so only the Navy can get there, oh wait, it was a Navy ship that sank.

I don't get it, even for fisherman it is out to far and to deep.

I don't think the Navy should use the ocean as a dumping ground for all their junk, if some of them can be placed where they are a resource--key word--RESOURCE--that is great--otheriwse sell them for scrap and reimburse the taxpayer.

Expect it to sink at least 15 feet, that would be typical of such a massive object on a soft bottom.

N

What kind of cheese would you like? :) That is a normal boat ride for most people who are not spoiled by the close wrecks of south FL. You don't dive NC or other Northern States much do you?

are AOW divers diving this site or is it tech stuff, seems a bit deep for aow was thinking of coming over there to dive it any info on this would be appreciated.

zed3:
are AOW divers diving this site or is it tech stuff, seems a bit deep for aow was thinking of coming over there to dive it any info on this would be appreciated.

Whoa! Thinking about coming here to dive just that? DON'T (I'm ready for the hate mail). Unless you want to blow by rec limits, you'll be diving just the tower, and the tower is pretty small. Lot's of people think it's a great dive (I think they have a vested interest), but there are MUCH better dives on the other side of Florida as far as I'm concerned, just not as romantic as diving an aircraft carrier.

Consider doing the Oriskany as a dive once you are here....not the reason to come here.

Back
Top Bottom