Has the Oriskany settled deeper since sinking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandy,

Thanks for helping answer my initial question by actually diving the Mighty O. If you can, take a couple of depth readings and report back. Hopefully you'll have great weather and an even greater dive. Have fun and be safe!! Look forward to your post.

Del Mo

Actually I've been thinking about coming to Fla toi just dive the big O. Would spend three or four days doing two to three deco dives a day just on that vessel.

Some of us like going deep and just rooting around in there.
Mr Pat

I dove the Oriskany on Dec. 16, 2006 and then again 2 weeks later. I laid on the flight deck (with the mollusks) and looked at my dive computer - it read 136ft.

Most folks are going to take a depth reading at the flight deck very near the island since that's where the dive boats are tying into.

In reality the flight deck is 157 feet wide and almost 900 feet long. It's depth will vary greatly with any listing of the ship a few degrees in any direction. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some other diver come and say that its 145 feet deep at the port side amidships across from the island. Or that it's 150 feet deep at the bow or stern.

In all actuality, this would make a good training dive for Divers planning on visiting the Andrea Doria. The depths are very similar, and you can get your team ironed out at 200fsw before hitting the ripping currents of the North Atlantic. So in that respect, it is a good wreck.

Just my .02c worth

Cheers

Mike

Sedona:
I dove the Oriskany on Dec. 16, 2006 and then again 2 weeks later. I laid on the flight deck (with the mollusks) and looked at my dive computer - it read 136ft.

That's the same thing we got 24 hours after sinking, +/- 1 ft.

mike_s:
Most folks are going to take a depth reading at the flight deck very near the island since that's where the dive boats are tying into.

In reality the flight deck is 157 feet wide and almost 900 feet long. It's depth will vary greatly with any listing of the ship a few degrees in any direction. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some other diver come and say that its 145 feet deep at the port side amidships across from the island. Or that it's 150 feet deep at the bow or stern.

there really is not too much pitch or anything to the flight deck. basically the same on the stern (i.e. "shallower") as the bow (i.e., "deeper").

Mike Edmonston:
In all actuality, this would make a good training dive for Divers planning on visiting the Andrea Doria. The depths are very similar, and you can get your team ironed out at 200fsw before hitting the ripping currents of the North Atlantic. So in that respect, it is a good wreck.

Hi Mike-
It is a good wreck, regardless. However, it does little to prepare you for the DORIA. Different scenarios and different wrecks, and the dives to each are very, very, VERY different.
Cheers,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom