Haskel AG-30 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Haskel AG-30 I've been using for the last 5+years. Never an issue. Yesterday I went to fill some rebreather bottles, filled the first one without a problem. Went to the second and the pump cycles but the pressure does increase. The target bottle just equalizes with the supply bottle.
I checked all connections and all is correct. But nothing, can anyone offer advice?

Thanks, Al

On another forum kwinter suggested putting a check valve on the outlet side of the booster. I did this and the booster is now pumping.

Al

While it may be working now, it is telling you that it is time to do a seal job.

Given you put in a check valve after the pump and it now works, and from the previous post, it would suggest an internal check valve does not seal. Putting in the additional check valve resolved the problem, however I would suspect its time for a rebuild before something else fails internally. The external check valve is now covering up a fault. Ok for the short term but perhaps a looming problem.

I realize adding the check valve may just be masking a problem that will show up down the road (or may not). But at least this buys me some time.
I only use the booster once or twice a month filling 3L rebreather bottles. In addition this is only during warmer months. So this patch may last for a long time. But in any case gives me time to figure out what to do. Things like finding out if this can be a DIY repair, where to get parts, or does it need to sent in somewhere.
Then if it does need to be sent in for service, where? Its also my understanding parts and service are very expensive. To the point of being ridiculous.

Al

You are sure right about parts being expensive! I just sent a seal set to a guy and it was almost $200 for a bag of rings and gaskets! Of course, each was nicely bagged.

Yes - depending on the model of the Haskel and what's wrong with it, a check valve added to the discharge can make it work again. But operating it with something obviously wrong is potentially dangerous and definitely way down on efficiency on a machine that's already a horror story energy-wise. Also, broken parts have a habit of damaging adjoining parts with skyrocketing repair costs as a consequence.
If you haven't taken care of it, I rebuild Haskels for about 1/2 - 2/3 the costs that major shops charge and build custom control systems for them.

Back
Top Bottom