Hassling the Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, how do we feel about bird feeders? How about chasing squirrels away from those feeders or raccoons out of your garden?

If you don't want to disturb marine life, stay out of the water. There is a difference between disturbing marine life and damaging or destroying it. When in doubt, go with the less impact option.

Great thread, I can't say however that I personally wouldn't calmly follow marine life I'm interested in (specifically clown fish, leatherback and hawksbill seaturtles) but that's because I don't feel that becomes a large disturbance in their territory if it's for brief time in waters that aren't heavily populated. It would be from a respectable distance and if I appeared to stress them out, that would be an instance to leave them be. Racing around to pet and feed or act in even more disrespectful instances such as those NWGrateful pointed out is what stresses animals out because they then act in more defensive and aggressive natures, and not by choice. Feeding will also ween species off, even minimally in their ability to feed themselves. If there's a lull in tourism, those animals then starve, in peak seasons other species may get out of control. I believe* that's what happened to lionfish. We hunted their predator too aggressively and now they're an invasive species in most parts because they've over populated.

You can get quite close to many critters if you approach them properly. In some cases, they don't even mind some handling ... wolfies for example can be very curious. The thing is don't make them feel threatened, always leave them an escape path, and don't impede them if they try to leave. Lots of photographers manage to get amazing pictures without stressing an animal out in the process. This turtle, for example, didn't change its behavior in the least due to our presence. We never got in its way. At one point, it settled down on the reef, completely ignoring our presence.

Lionfish in the Caribbean are a completely different issue, although one that is also directly the result of human intervention. They don't belong there. We didn't hunt their predator too aggressively ... they never had a predator in this area in the first place, because until about 20 years ago they weren't there. The problem with lionfish is that they reproduce on a grand scale. In their natural habitat, most of the eggs get eaten before they can hatch. In the Caribbean, nobody eats the eggs ... so they manage to spawn tens of thousands of babies a year ... most of which grow up to become adults. It's one of the most aggregious examples of a human-introduced invasive species of our lifetime ... and one we can do very little to control.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Attachments

• 044-Bob & Turtle.jpg
    044-Bob & Turtle.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 387
I always find it funny that people who fly to these tropical destinations on a huge, fuel sucking airplane, then ride out on a boat leaking diesel fuel, blowing black smoke and which bottom is covered in toxic paint that is designed to leach out poison, are upset when someone turns a turtle around...

I always find it funny that people who fly to these tropical destinations on a huge, fuel sucking airplane, then ride out on a boat leaking diesel fuel, blowing black smoke and which bottom is covered in toxic paint that is designed to leach out poison to kill marine life, are upset when someone turns a turtle around...

Just helping.

Bob
---------------------------

you are in there world as a guest, now I know that they dont have cognitive ability to understand that
But we do
Personally i believe in no touch, no feed, low impact approach and I get lots of great video without damaging the reef or animals
Not everyone thinks that way, just like not all drivers are courteous

The only time I get griped is people crawling or holding on to live reefs, and or people directly harming or collecting when they should not
many people condemn taking any creature from the ocean
as a member of Marine Aquarium Society regulated capture and collection can be helpful
Propagating and breeding captured or collected corals helps reduce harvesting
And many with aquariums prefer and will only use domesticated stock in their tanks
there are some species educated aquarium owners will not purchase at all due to survival rates. there are fish species that should not be put together, same foe corals. it is all about educating people the best we can

Our sport is growing
It would actually be nice to see some education on our impact in the training classes
i have been told most good operators will not take poor or inconsiderate divers to their favorite reefs. i hope that is true

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I always find it funny that people who fly to these tropical destinations on a huge, fuel sucking airplane, then ride out on a boat leaking diesel fuel, blowing black smoke and which bottom is covered in toxic paint that is designed to leach out poison, are upset when someone turns a turtle around...

I find it funny that I had this stereotype of divers being soft spoken, educated, scientific minded, sensitive souls in awe of the wonders of the ocean. I guess I got that from watching Discovery Channel. Coming on this board has blown that stereotype right out the window. I am amazed at how many rednecks there are that dive. I woulda thought divers were Democrats all the way--but nope, most are hardcore Republicans--maybe even Libertarians.

I would not cause a puffer fish (blowfish, as some call them) to inflate and play catch with it. On the other hand, touching a ray to see it move, while inconsiderate, is probably not in the same category. I would imagine it has a lot to do with how many divers visit a site. There are no coral reefs up here and very few divers, so I would doubt a bit of touching here would effect nothing as far as creatures leaving the areas. It's all about perspective, I guess. I admit I have occasionally touched things. I'm sure it can be a real concern in some (tropical) areas in that if a lot of divers disturb things it could have some effect on the reef populations. Also meaning effecting the charter boats' businesses if it becomes known that the reefs there are not what they use to be. I'm no scientist though. Divers must be aware not to take both physical actions and ideas about them to extremes. Some divers that I've met come across as ecological experts. I suppose some of those actually are. As pointed out, though it doesn't excuse the idiocy of some divers, aquatic life has a lot more to worry about from humans. Pollution, overfishing, coastal development of mangroves, etc. Dumb divers are a drop in the bucket.

I find it funny that I had this stereotype of divers being soft spoken, educated, scientific minded, sensitive souls in awe of the wonders of the ocean. I guess I got that from watching Discovery Channel. Coming on this board has blown that stereotype right out the window. I am amazed at how many rednecks there are that dive. I woulda thought divers were Democrats all the way--but nope, most are hardcore Republicans--maybe even Libertarians.

The Pub is three doors down on the right ... stop on by, that's where we talk about Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and Pizzatarians ... personally I find most divers are pretty apolitical once the fins go on ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom