Hassling the Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the above post (except for eating the flounder :))

As someone who spends time trying to understand fish behavior and habitat I occasionally interact with animal species to see how they respond or what they are doing. The truth is, animals interact with animals all the time and unless actually attacked, no real harm is done.

The above statements have two caveats however:

The first is that this doesn't include intense interactions that can cause stress.
The second is that this does not include repeated exposures.

What I am reading is the result of many divers congregating in a small (generally tropical resort) area to observe, over and over, the same few species. The resident grouper/eel/octo/turtle. Any of these, interacting once in a low stress way with divers, would likely suffer no real harm. On the other hand, that same animal, disturbed repeatedly by daily visits from divers, may develop stress. And of course, those same animals will develop stress if even a single interaction is unduly intense (like Bob's octo wrestling incident).

It's a matter of degree and animals have no such barrier from satiating their curiosity about us. Observe the juvenile buffalo sculpin moving into the scene at 4:10 (upper left screen) of this video. Why move towards such a large, unknown animal like this? Also note two animal responses due to diver interaction - both would have reacted similarly if a Ling Cod had settled near them.:
[video=youtube;qNYXub8QhqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYXub8QhqI&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ& index=1[/video]

And brnt999, let's not forget to mention those awful divers that dedicate some of their dives to cleaning up the reefs, interacting, dare i say, even killing the gentle lionfish. And I know we've all seen divers touching marine life only to remove fishing line, hooks and such...

Back to turtles . . .the most disgusted I've ever been was watching a diver grab a turtle and steer it by twisting its "tail". Apparently it wasn't actually the turtle's tail, if you know what I mean.

Was that you dumpster?

As for myself, I'm not completely innocent. I've been known to tease a damsel fish and even when it comes to turtles, let their poor eyesight help them along to thinking I might be a mate. And if I'm very lucky, the turtle even after realizing its mistake will indulge me as I swim along beside it for awhile as we stare into one another's eye(s).

Ewww, gross. There's also a video out there on the interwebs somewhere of a diver who got too close to a dolphin if you get my drift.

Ahahaa . . . Well it's seems funny now but probably wouldn't be to the diver attempting to fend off the amorous dolphin. Erm, or did I get that backwards?

Last edited:
I rarely lake dive anymore - but when we did, and it was fishing season dad had this very bad habit:

He'd take note of the location of clusters of rocks where particularly large bass were territorial over, then go back with the boat and a fishing rod. It was one of his favorite tricks to amuse his friends - choose a seemingly random spot, and pull in this huge bass with just 1 cast.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire thread...

So on a recent dive there was a bass being very territorial over his little clump of rocks that he had placed right next to some cave line and a navigational mark. I came and left several times and each time he was right there. I just had to mess with him.... doing helicopter turns staring him down then head off in a direction just to turn it around and come back to mess with him some more.

I'm not sure what it says about my personality but for some reason it really made for a fun belly laugh of a dive messing with that poor fish.

Not my canoe... just a pic of environmentally friendly transportation device.. By the way how many sea turtles have you killed? Eat any wild caught shrimp? Then you definitely have "turtle blood" on your hands... How about the dive boat.. maybe you should DEMAND that they use only jet drives or have cage over the props. I have killed several sea turtles while operating (or while passenger) on a dive boat.. It sucks when you slam into them and feel the prop crunch the shell and then come around and see a big plume of blood. All this enviro-nazi talk is ridiculous, people driving around on a "turtle chopping" boat worried about someone touching a turtle...
How do you even rationalize suggesting that I canoe myself to the tropics from Canada? In the spirit of fun, I shall continue the lunacy. I don't actually eat a great deal of seafood. Not a fan of the taste. The only type of fish I can even stand to eat is halibut and that might be once every couple months because family feel the need take me out to fish and chips. Does that mean I'm an environmental nazi? I don't count myself as one, I eat beef, chicken and pork at an alarming rate, I fear the for species.

I must say however, still a really cool canoe. I love the natural wood finish.

How do you even rationalize suggesting that I canoe myself to the tropics from Canada? In the spirit of fun, I shall continue the lunacy. I don't actually eat a great deal of seafood. Not a fan of the taste. The only type of fish I can even stand to eat is halibut and that might be once every couple months because family feel the need take me out to fish and chips. Does that mean I'm an environmental nazi? I don't count myself as one, I eat beef, chicken and pork at an alarming rate, I fear the for species.

I must say however, still a really cool canoe. I love the natural wood finish.

I eat more than my own share of beef, chicken and pork and it bothers me more than any sea creatures I have killed or harassed. Why? Well, first off, I believe cows, chickens and pigs are several orders more intelligent than the sea life that I harvest and second, they mostly get to spend their lives living in abject misery in order to provide affordable meat. Of course it doesn't bother me enough to stop eating them. I just wish they were treated better up until the time they were slaughtered.

Somebody touching a fish or a turtle may not be particularly nice, but so far as animal cruelty and environmental degradation go it's the smallest of small potatoes.

And how about catch and release fishing? Isn't that about the ultimate in fish harassment?

I eat more than my own share of beef, chicken and pork and it bothers me more than any sea creatures I have killed or harassed. Why? Well, first off, I believe cows, chickens and pigs are several orders more intelligent than the sea life that I harvest and second, they mostly get to spend their lives living in abject misery in order to provide affordable meat. Of course it doesn't bother me enough to stop eating them. I just wish they were treated better up until the time they were slaughtered.

Somebody touching a fish or a turtle may not be particularly nice, but so far as animal cruelty and environmental degradation go it's the smallest of small potatoes.

And how about catch and release fishing? Isn't that about the ultimate in fish harassment?

Agree completely. YES, nobody ever criticizes those great "catch and release" guys! They're such caring ecologists! Of course, I guess if you catch something illegal you must release it. Whatever fishing I do it's for food. I do enjoy the activity quite a bit, though I don't particularly get any joy out of seeing a fish in pain while removing the hook. Or pulling my poke spear out of a flounder to put it in my catch bag.

Agree completely. YES, nobody ever criticizes those great "catch and release" guys! They're such caring ecologists! Of course, I guess if you catch something illegal you must release it. Whatever fishing I do it's for food. I do enjoy the activity quite a bit, though I don't particularly get any joy out of seeing a fish in pain while removing the hook. Or pulling my poke spear out of a flounder to put it in my catch bag.

I don't enjoy seeing anything in pain either, but I'll admit I do get a thrill when I make a kill. There's something very primal about hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom