Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy for a guy to say.
What do you need that a guy doesn't? :D

Think about it before you answer; and balance need versus want. I know women who can travel with just as little as I do.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the new survey out that ranks customer experience and according to the rankings, Americans prefer the experience of buying a used car/dealing with a used car salesman over interacting with an airline.

Did anyone see the new survey out that ranks customer experience and according to the rankings, Americans prefer the experience of buying a used car/dealing with a used car salesman over interacting with an airline.
That's because they can't follow the rules and get upset when the rules are enforced.

Never had a problem with airlines.

I would be a little worried! What other faults do they have?

Likely can't cook either.
Who said they had faults? I'm not trying to be mean or pick on her for anything- I just resigned myself to having to take another bag on my trip because of the weight of my books and batteries. If I could get the Reef Series on my Ipad, I'd be set. I could go without them; but I don't want to. :D

Who said they had faults? I'm not trying to be mean or pick on her for anything- I just resigned myself to having to take another bag on my trip because of the weight of my books and batteries. If I could get the Reef Series on my Ipad, I'd be set. I could go without them; but I don't want to. :D

For the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, I like this one better than the Humann books. And that's saying something.

Easy for a guy to say.

My wife was on the Mexico trip as well. Backpack and small wheeled tote for her too.

Dive gear I have a regular checked suitcase, but that or tools are the only things I check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's because they can't follow the rules and get upset when the rules are enforced.

Certainly some truth to your first statement.

I've had no problems with foreign carriers, but plenty with domestic carriers. My last two flights on Air Tran were cancelled due to "mechanical problems" that seemed strange to me. In the first case they couldn't find the proper replacement equipment and brought the wrong unit. Seems they should have a computerized system that tells them which specific piece of equipment is on which plane. Second time they canceled my flight to the Bahamas and I almost missed the liveaboard the next day (I was arriving a day early). They said it was equipment failure but many of us thought it was just not enough passengers. The flight the next day was about 30% full. Hmmm. As for any additional charges for checked luggage, I had no problem with that as I knew the rules for that carrier.

I think part of the problem is that some of the rules don't make any sense:

for example:
Why can I bring 4 3.4oz bottles of liquid in a ziplock bag, but not a 12oz bottle of water?
Why do I have to turn off my phone? I find it hard to believe that my phone could interfere with the navigation system on the plane...it doesn't even interfere with the GPS in my truck.

With regards to electronics they have actually started to soften up though.. not much but a start

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Why do I have to turn off my phone?

Because people are rude and would talk and the entire flight disturbing the other passengers around them. Who do you need to talk to on the plane anyway?

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 11:46 AM ----------

My last two flights on Air Tran were cancelled due to "mechanical problems" that seemed strange to me. In the first case they couldn't find the proper replacement equipment and brought the wrong unit. Seems they should have a computerized system that tells them which specific piece of equipment is on which plane. Second time they canceled my flight to the Bahamas and I almost missed the liveaboard the next day (I was arriving a day early). They said it was equipment failure but many of us thought it was just not enough passengers. The flight the next day was about 30% full.

I have had this happen twice to me on US Airways. When I looked on the government's website to see what my rights are I found out I had none. The website is so apologetic for the airlines. The don't guarantee arrival times, etc.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

Why can I bring 4 3.4oz bottles of liquid in a ziplock bag, but not a 12oz bottle of water?

What really bothers me is the TSA does not take complaints against the airline seriously. I complained about security violations by both US Airways (leaving bags unattended out on the tarmac) and American (leaving unclaimed bags out in the open to anyone to tamper with) and no action was taken.

Back
Top Bottom