Hatteras NC Trip???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a house booked in Avon NC in a few weeks. My wife and I are looking to do a few days diving off the coast and would love to do one of the U-boat dives on this trip. Looks like I will dive one day with her and one day alone but I have a few questions.

What op to go with as the wife does get sea sick (boat size)? What restrictions on open water divers? Any issues with using my own tanks for the trip on any of the boats? Water temps in September?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! :D

DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Outer Banks Diving

Capt JT's - "Under Pressure" Dive Charters

Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina

Last edited:
No problem with diving your own tanks, the only place for Nitrox fills will be at Outer Banks Diving in Hatteras & Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags Head, the only actual shops. But you don't need to dive with them to get fills.
Dive Hatteras & Capt. JT have compressors on board for air fills.
They all have nice sized boats, but the Ocean can be flat calm or pretty rough, my wife also is seasick prone, but always thinks the diving is worth it & she takes her Bonine & it helps a little.
OBD & OBDC will run with up to 20+ divers where as DH & Capt. JT (my favorite) run with only 6 divers max. But Capt JTs last date in Hatteras is Sept. 5-7 & is booked with the Atlantic Wreck Divers & they have 1 spot open, but it will be a deep trip, probably 140-200 FSW on the main dive of the day.
U-boat dives for the OW diver will limit you to the U-85 with OBDC in Nags Head, the only other U-boat is the 701 which sits on the shoals with usually strong current & is considered an advanced dive, also with OBDC.
There is an American Sub off Hatteras, The Tarpon, but it is 140fsw so DECO training is advisable if not required on most trips there. USS Tarpon SS-175 on Vimeo
Water temps will probably be upper 60s in Nags Head & upper 70s low 80s in Hatteras.

My wife will dive one day and would like to dive out of Hatteras. Nags Head is what, an hour ride? After one day diving with her I could hit a few other advanced sites. Thinking about three days of diving.

I'm with you on the small boats but sounds like the diving is a little above my skill level. Have not had a chance to take the advanced nitrox and deco procedures class as of yet. Looks Like I will have to rethink this.

Thanks for your input!

Don't get me wrong there is plenty of good diving down there in Hatteras without needing advanced training.
The Dixie Arrow is a popular site not too far out that will give you a nice idea on what NC has to offer. 90FSW.
OBD can get you there & usually runs there quite often.
I would try DH first, but they run a limited schedule compared to OBD.
Hatteras would be my 1st choice also between the 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom