Have HURRICANES effected COZUMEL diving? 9-25-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skychick

New
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Cozumel October 13th-18th and am wondering if the recent hurricanes have hurt the diving conditions, viz, etc. I know there is a new one brewing. Does anyone know if Cozumel is in its path? I appreciate any available information. Thanks. Skychick

Hi, and welcome to the Board!

As of this writing there are no hurricanes heading toward Cozumel. Look, just relax the weather is going to be fine, You will get in all your dives, the visibility will be great and you will have a fantastic vacation.

But if it will make you feel better, take a look at the regulations for Cozumel's marine park. They state clearly that hurricanes as well as water skiing; spearing fishing; peeing in the water and shake downs by the Mexican scuba police are not permitted in the marine park. So now you know!

Skychick:
I am planning a trip to Cozumel October 13th-18th and am wondering if the recent hurricanes have hurt the diving conditions, viz, etc. I know there is a new one brewing. Does anyone know if Cozumel is in its path? I appreciate any available information. Thanks. Skychick

There should be no lingering effects by the time of your planned trip.

Enjoy yourself.

DocVikingo

Texas Diver:
Hi, and welcome to the Board!

But if it will make you feel better, take a look at the regulations for Cozumel's marine park. They state clearly that hurricanes as well as water skiing; spearing fishing; peeing in the water and shake downs by the Mexican scuba police are not permitted in the marine park. So now you know!

too funny, I'll have to stop doing "that" in the water and save it for on the boat :wink:

Loss in visibility especially on the more southern dive sites. We dove Punta Sur last Sunday and had 20 foot visibility, the lowest I've ever seen on Coz. Lots of particulate matter in the water. Most probably due to the pounding the east side took during Ivan. The water over there was a lovely shade of green(think Galveston Bay). Given the time since and till your trip you have no worries unless another storm comes through.

Have a great trip

Rich

Doc- in case you look back on this thread, I thought I might once have the scoop on you on the tequila tasting ranchero on the cross island road. Looks very nice BTW, but I smell Pod excursion site all over it. Perhaps it would be a nice Sunday stop.

sddiver:
...I might once have the scoop on you on the tequila tasting ranchero on the cross island road. Looks very nice BTW, but I smell Pod excursion site all over it. Perhaps it would be a nice Sunday stop.

I doubt it will be open on Sundays when the liquor stores are closed.

We were in Coz during around the time of the first 2 hurricanes. The viz was not as good as it has been on past trips but not too bad. On 2 of the days of our diving though, the currents were screwed up. They were stronger than usual and kept changing directions, mid dive. We hired a videographer one day and it happened to be one of the weird current days and now we just laugh when we watch the DVD as we fly along. Even the fish were being swept away.

I was in Coz last week, dove Tuesday, - viz was incredible(50-60 ft) - but whaddaIknow - 5 ft is good to me.......

Hi Skychick,

I was in Cozumel 9/19 - 9/25. Up to now, the recent hurricanes haven't adversely affected diving in Cozumel. My viz was a little low by Cozumel's standards at 70 feet early in the week, but improved to around 120 feet by week's end. There hasn't been any damage to the coral or reefs. There is some sand dusting on the coral down to about 50 feet because the water was stirred up. But that's all. Assuming no more hurricane activity prior to your trip, you'll have great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom