Have you been foiled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Bob Evans first produced his Foil Force Fin in 1998 as a response to a request from a Commander of U.S. Military Diving Operations seeking an extended -range, diving and surface- kicking fin.

foil_force_fin_front.jpg

This year Force Fin has released three new models to their product line and one of them is the 2010 Foil Force Fin which is made using a New Tan Delta Formula. The new formula has greater rebound and snap characteristics and appears more opaque than our other Tan Delta formula that appears clear as boiled candy. The stored energy in these fins is apparent just by holding them in your hand and flicking the fin blade with your finger. The only design change is that it lacks the Vortex Generators on the bottom of the foot pocket. This increases the surface area and therefore increases stability on the deck when standing.

foil2010_layout_be.jpg

When I first started working at Force Fin I started an affiliate relationship with a professional dive instructor in Alaska. I was excited when he told me that his students were requesting Force Fins and he was not only using force fins, but had been using many different Force Fin models for quite some time. It was great to get his students into Force Fins and to also learn about his diving in Alaska. Last year he relocated to a landlocked region and his diving was not going to be anything like it was up North. He was still interested in Force Fins and wanted to add another Force Fin model to his quiver. I recently received the below email and must say it makes me want to get back in the water with the 2010 Foil Force Fins:

"After waiting patiently for about 6 months being landlocked here in TX, we finally were able to get on our way to HI for our dive vacation and were finally able to try out these fins in open water. Let me start by saying that at the end of our first dive, my wife says to me while we were walking up the beach that "these are the
easiest kicking fins I've had so far!" To give you a basis of comparison, she has a pair of original force in blue and Tan Delta in ruby red, and has used extensively my Force Fin Pro in black (literally 10 year old fins!) and Tan Delta in smoke. In the past she has always had difficulty keeping up with me while she was in the TD's
and myself diving in either Pro's or the older Foil Force, but this time, she kept up without any issue. I think part of it, though, was her difficulty in kicking properly with the Original/Pro/TD shape, as well as the stiffness of the TD overall.

Thought I'd start with her thoughts--now for mine.

I don't think I'll be diving much with my original TD's in smoke, as much as I've loved them since the day I bought them in 2002.I covered more ground with my wife in these fins than ever in the past at the same dive site that
we've dove for the past 2 years on vacation, with the same amount of air, same amount of weight, same equipment configuration, for the both of us. I chased after and kept up with (and at times simply passed) fish and other sea life that in the past either took the wind out of me to keep up with, or just simply left me in the dust. Currents were of no concern, as well as tidal surges while swimming in or out--none caused me to exert myself much at all. While others were seen going backwards, a small motion of my foot kept me in place, and a 2-kick flutter literally shot me forward with my wife in tow.
foil2010_bpm.jpg

These fins are, for lack of a better word, perfect. No need for vortex generators, like the original Foil Force--didn't even notice they weren't there. I can't picture myself using any other fin now. I may never come around to buying the SD-1's like I had planned."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom