Have you lost your weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
After reading the responses to Strick's question about integrated weight, I'd like to know how many people have lost their weights while diving.

I haven't, although I nearly lost a weight belt when the loose end got wrapped around my leg. Now I have a BC with integrated weight, but I've only used it five or six times.

Zept

Zept,
I am fairly new (2-3 years) to the sport, but have logged a little over 150 dives to date.
With the exception of probably 5 of these dives I have used the following Weight integrated BC's:
1) Sherwood Magnum (Integrated weights W/velcro attachments)
2) Scuba-Pro Classic (Integrated weights with clip attachments)
I have never lost a weight pack. The key is to revise the velcro attachment points (clean em), pack the weights into the pockets with care and then attach the pockets to the BCD with the same care. (BTW: soft weights are the cats-behind for integrated BC's)
I like the Scuba-Pro system because the weight pockets are attached with clips to the BCD.
I usually dive in salt water and over my dives have used up to 18lbs of weight.

Dive Safe,
Vettster

I use a Zeagle Concept BC with velcro closures on the weight pockets. I have never lost a weight pouch or even had the velcro loosen in over 350 dives.

While DMing I have seen students lose their weight belts, but never seen a diver lose a weight pouch from a harness/bc system or a female diver lose her weights. Men don't have hips, and wearing a two piece farmer john type wetsuit, well, the belt just slips right down to the ankles on some people.

I use a Black Diamond that has integrated weights, haven't lost them yet, but have forgotten the pouches a couple of times.

I've seen a female student lose her weight belt jumping in. I guess it might not have been fastened properly.

I have hips -- no problem there -- but I'm finding integrated weight an improvement because it gives me more flexibility in positioning the cummerband. I fuss paranoidly over the Velcro, though. Glad to hear that the system works for other people.

Zept

Does picking up the wrong weight belt count? Thought it was tough getting down (but I did) until ?I got back to the boat and was told I almost sunk someone when they picked up my belt as it was the only one left!!

On my last dive I saw a weight drop off the dive leader (an instructor) who was very surprised whe I gave it back (great viz out here) and didn't want to take it. I even saw him have to adjust his buoancy - being a good instrcutor he did take it though and eventually even admited it was his - after a few glasses of sake.....

Jonathan

My little tropical travel BC ["Explorer"] has this really rinky-dink "integrated" weight system where you basically put the weights in little bags that just go right into the BC pockets (which are small in the first place) with the emergency release handles hanging outside the pockets. A totally *bad* rig - the weights will fall out as often as they stay in! And you lose the use of the pockets - bad, bad rig.
I love the BC itself and dive it open water whenever the water's warm enough and I don't have students - but only with a weight belt.
Rick

I've never worn integrated weights but with my dry suit I might consider starting.

I've lost my weight belt while wearing my farmer john. Diving for the first time several years ago with my (now) fiance I felt something strange near my hip and thought our third diver (Barry) had gotten close enough to touch me with the rope for the flag. I turned and looked and he was still in the same position he occupied 30 seconds before. I turned forward again and felt the belt go over my non-existent hips (I wasn't quick enough to catch it) sending me toward the surface from about 20 feet. I didn't have time to look for buddy number two (Bruce), I simply grabbed (knowing he was within arms reach) held on and flared to slow down. I felt him grab my hand with both of his and then I looked at him.

Here's the scenario from his point of view: Basically he had been happily diving along and I had suddenly grabbed his primary regulator hose and started for the surface, he had no idea why I was dragging him topside by the teeth! He grabbed my hand to make sure I didn't rip the regulator out of his mouth.

When I saw what I had grabbed I made sure not to make any sudden movements that would dislodge his regulator from his mouth. When we arrived at the surface he said "What the heck is going on?" That's when Barry surfaced carrying my weight belt which he had managed to recover from the muddy lake bottom. He had seen the whole thing happen and had determined that we were safe and it was ok for him to pick up the belt on his way up. I explained what happened and we aborted the dive since we were close to our exit point anyway. The next time I put my weight belt on all 3 of us double checked the buckle as part of our pre-dive check (we always do this once, this time we did it twice to see if we had missed something before the first dive). It still slipped at one point in the dive although I knew what the sensation of getting ready to lose a weight belt was now and fixed the problem.

Believe it or not Bruce actually buddied up with me for my first night dive that evening, I was afraid he'd never want to dive with me again.

Ber :bunny:

I have seen a few models of weight intergation fail and divers lose their weights. I have lost a weight belt -- caught by my crotch strap. I don't like weight belts much, but if I use one, I wear two buckles to help prevent losing it. I would opt for a weight belt with two buckles over weight integration.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom