Having ear problems while abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shomat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver and am currently in Aruba. We did one shallow dive yesterday, max depth was 21 feet. My right ear hurt a little afterwards. Then I woke up during the night suddenly unable to hear well out of that ear. The canal is very swollen, and the ear lobe is red, a little swollen and sore to the touch. I can hear crackling if I move my jaw. It feels like there is water in my ear and all sounds are muffled. I won't be going home for another three days and would appreciate any advice. This feeling is very frustrating. I don't plan on diving again on this trip.

You might find the info here helpful in general.

As to your situation, it does sound like medical attention is indicated. You can try and relieve symptoms using "ear dry" drops or alcohol, but by all means avoid diving while you have any doubt.

Good luck to you - and I hope you find other ways to enjoy your vaca despite spending it topside :)

I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but FWIW the one time I had those symptoms they showed no inclination to go away on their own after a couple days. A quick visit to the doc had it diagnosed as an outer ear infection. I got antibiotics and other ear drops and it started to feel better very quickly. I'd say you can either suffer for a few days not to mention your flight back. Or else hit a local clinic and have it looked at, you'll make sure it's not something worse and very possibly get to feel better for most of the rest of your vacation. Ask your hotel for a pointer to a doctor, I wouldn't be surprised if they (both the hotels and the docs) dealt with visitors with this problem often enough.

Alcohol/vinegar swimmers ear type drops seem pretty useful to me at helping prevent ear infections, but I don't know if they're much good once you already have one?

(I asked for this to be moved to a medical subforum.)

It's impossible to diagnose accurately over the internet, but if the canal is visibly swollen and it hurts if you try to move the outer ear with your fingers, then you certainly have at least an external ear infection. I do not know what the rules on prescription medications are in Aruba, but we generally treat these infections with antibiotic ear drops. Cortisporin otic is a brand name in the US. Ciprofloxacin ear drops are also used, especially with a bit of dexamethasone in them. Don't try vinegar or alcohol with active infection -- it's unlikely to help, and is very painful.

Please recognize that I can't see you and can't provide an accurate diagnosis. I'm just giving generic advice on how otitis externa is treated.

MusinexD might help to relieve the congestion/pressure on your ear. Also, hydrogen peroxide is in most swimmers ear OTC medication. Try some to see if it will relieve the pressure.

If you go to the DAN (Divers Alert Network) and type in the search - Diving Medicine Articles
Guide to Avoiding Ear & Sinus Injuries in Scuba Diving. If will bring up and article about ear symptoms and solutions.

Thanks for the responses. I am fine with riding out the next 2 days and seeing a doctor at home, however I am very nervous about flyng home. I know it will probably be painful,but can I get hurt?

If the infection is only of the outer ear, flying shouldn't be an issue, unless the canal is truly swollen shut.

A DAN medic got back to me by e-mail on Monday and thinks I have a mild middle ear barotrauma. He suggested oxymetalozline and Asprin which has worked like magic. My hearing is almost normal again and the other symptoms are just very slightly present. I flew home last night with no problems and am going to see an ENT.

Interesting. Middle ear barotrauma should not produce any changes which are visible without an otoscope -- in other words, the canal should not have been swollen, and you shouldn't have had significant pain when the external ear was moved.

But a good outcome is a good outcome, regardless of the diagnosis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom