Hawai'i Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

My wife and I are considering going to Hawaii for our 5th anniversary during the first week of September. Our last 9 or 10 vacations have been strictly dive vacations with 20+ dives a week. This will be the first trip to Hawaii for both of us.

My first inclination would be to book the Agressor and dive our brains out, but, I should probably spend time seeing the topside of Hawaii -- especially since neither of us has been there before. Constraints: We can only get 1 week off (maybe 10 days max if you include weekends and an extra day). Thus, the Aggressor would exclude most topside sightseeing.

Also, since we usually do dive vacations exclusively, it seems we'll need to take stuff other than dive gear when we go. Has anyone shipped their gear (instead of taking it on the plane) ahead of time? I really hate thinking about taking more luggage than usual through the airports.

Any recommendations/thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

Bob when we've visited Maui we take the dive gear with us on the plane. I don't ship. Tip the skycaps a couple of bucks a bag and it's like you aren't hauling anything :)

My parents visited Hawaii last Feburary and had 14 wonderful days with out diving. There are plenty of things to do on land in Hawaii. Just curious but what Island have you decided to go to?

On Oahu, there are a couple of operators I would suggest.
Liveaboard
Kaimana Divers (PM Scottitheduck)

If you wanna dive a lot Gabe is always going out every day and you will still be able to take in some of the sites. The Liveaboard is great for cramming in as many dives as possible.

As for shipping gear. I bought my gear in Guam and had it shipped to Hawaii via standard U.S. mail. Had it insured and everything. it cost me 25 bucks to do it and that was just BC, regs and wetsuit. Everything was fine and nothing was damaged. Just a matter of preference really. If you do mail, us the tracker. it took 2 weeks to get from Guam to Hawaii.

Hope this stuff helps.

We haven't decided on an island yet. I'm not really the type that enjoys touristy things. I find that floating underwater and observing sea life is probably the most relaxing activity I know. Fortunately, my wife feels the same way. However, it is Hawaii so we just think we should see some of the natural beauty topside. Also, it won't be our only chance to dive this year. We just came back from a Belize liveaboard in Dec and are headed to Roatan end of April. I'm considering buying a drysuit for my wife (and maybe myself) so we can do more local diving (Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas) since my wife gets cold easily (7mm doesn't work for her when we dive below the thermocline).

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions as to Islands. I'd like to go somewhere withouth hordes of tourists. My wife likes ocean views and beaches even though we don't sunbathe. She said she would like to dive half the days (3 or 4). When she says dive, she means 3 tanks a day minimum( or at least that's my biased interpretation). I was leaning towards Kona, but, I can be easily swayed by a strong argument for another island.

Hope that helps and thanks for the responses so far.

It's been a couple years since my last trip, but I've been to Hawaii many many times (8+ trips?). Each island has something different to see and explore as you'd expect, and one week is not really enough to see and appreciate them all. It would be easy to spend a week on each island, but in my opinion I would say don't try to go to more than two islands, as it will take away from the relaxation aspect you're looking for and you'll have to deal with the airport, packing/unpacking, etc probably more than is comfortable for a week.

Oahu - Honolulu especially is very touristy, so be warned, but there are also excellent restaurants here and other non-touristy things all over this island that get frequently ignored. Hiking here is amazingly beautiful and easily accessible. Driving the coast to the North Shore is easily done and very beautiful as well. Sort of touristy but incredibly moving is a trip to the Arizona Memorial. Diving is good all over Hawaii, including Oahu, but some memorable places are the lava tubes and there's a WW2 minesweeper wreck which was also interesting. I've only dove Oahu once so I'm sure there is much more to see. Some also dive Hanauma Bay here, which is an insanely popular and often crowded snorkeling spot. Better for snorkeling rather than diving, but can be done as a shore dive.

Kona - Kona is MUCH less crowded than Oahu. Where Honolulu can look like just about any big city with it's fast food chains, chain steakhouses and seafood restaurants, Kona is quiet and relaxed. The Big Island also has the volcano, which is a good day trip. Underwater the topography is unique with lots of lava formations, black sand in some places, and tropical pacific marine life. The one thing that Kona has that is special is the manta rays. You do this as a night dive and the mantas come in to feed off the krill that are attracted to your lights. An amazing experience that I will never forget.

Maui - If I had to pick one island, this would be it. While it doesn't have the manta ray dive, the south side (Kihei / Wailea area) is incredibly relaxing, a great place to escape from it all, and the diving here is amazingly beautiful. Launching from Kihei, Mike Severns Diving is probably one of the best operators I've ever dove with and I really enjoyed their attention to service and the environment. Molokini is a beautiful area to dive, the back side especially if conditions are good, but there are many good dive sites here, and a lot of shore diving is available for the adventurous. Top side, Roy's is a great restaurant, the road to Hana is a great excursion, Haleakala crater is also very enjoyable, and beaches and beautiful coastlines abound and are abundantly available for you to explore.

Kauai - Many people consider this their favorite island. It's very lush here, rains almost every day, and diving is really nice, too. I've only been to Kauai twice, dove once. Also very peaceful and relaxing. The day I went diving there were so many turtles I felt like you could walk on them like stepping stones. While you'll see turtles almost everywhere you dive in Hawaii, there seemed to be more here that day. None the less this also marks the one and only place I've ever seen frog fish mating. Very weird! Kauai also boasts its famous Napili coast, which is an amazing hike with very dramatic views. Camping is possible along this hike as well, as it can be very long if you want it to be.

Lanai - I've been here once, and dove Lanai from Maui. This place is very sleepy and very much an escape from the rest of the world. I don't know if there are dive operations that launch from Lanai, but if escapism is what you want, this is it.

It's possible I just don't know all the islands well enough, but my favorite is still south side of Maui. It's grown a bit over time, but it's still a beautiful place to go and relax, and with a car, you can explore lots of places. Lahaina is the primary tourist area, and it may be fun to go see this area to check out these beautiful resorts, but the rest of the island offers so much natural beauty that you can fill your time being amazed every day at something new.

Hope this helps!

I agree that all islands offer something of interest. I live on Oahu and think this island gets a bad rap. Just yesterday morning, I walked up to Makapu'u Lighthouse to see sunrise. The drive out there is breathtaking. The mountains are gorgeous. It is true, the city is very, very touristy.

I love the Big Island for the diversity. I mean, where else will you be able to drive up and see an active volcano?! You will need to take a couple of days off diving to see this wonderful island. Do the volcano on the first day because of the altitude. It has the great manta ray dives - not to be missed! There are black and green sand beaches. This is my favorite island.

Maui has it's draw as well, of course. Others will say wonderful things about it. Maui has the most whales, if you come during that season. (Oh, too early for the whales)

Whatever you do, don't miss the topside attractions of this most beautiful place. Rent a car and go it alone so you don't feel touristy. There are many places where you can truly feel the spiritual vibe of the ancestral Hawaiian people.

It's been my experience that the Big Island has the smallest crowds in the "tourist" spots and beaches. Dive wise the Big Island and Maui can both be pretty good, with the Big Island having better near shore viz (no sand, no run off) if you are into shore diving. Maui has many more nice beaches, as it's geologically much older, but the Big Island does have some, including a few the tourists don't spend a lot of time at. Maui has better "night life", shopping and more going on as they have substantially more tourist arrivals.

As far as shipping your gear goes.... I've seen people ship their gear to a dive operator once they've picked one they're using for the trip. Make sure you get a delivery confirmation and never use Parcel Post (that can take weeks to months to show up), Priority mail can be inexpensive, but the other carriers (UPS and Fedex) will have much better tracking, which equals much better peace of mind for a lot of people.

Livewire is right about Oahu. There is a lot of tourism on this island, stay away from Wakiki. North Shore on the other hand, is GREAT! I live downtown and when I get tired of all the tourism crap, I grab a tent and sleeping bag and camp up on north shore. There are some amazing shore dives on the North Shore but only dive able in the summer. First week of September for Sharks Cove, is a maybe but I wouldn't be too sure about it.

The big thing people dont know about Oahu is the hiking out here is great! There is everything from beginner to expert and more out here. You cant hike to waterfalls, hike a ridge-line, or just got straight up Koko head. And the views are amazing.

Some of the dive sites we have in Oahu are good too. We have easily 5 wrecks that I can think of, and a couple of airplanes, we lost one in a storm. Then we have all the drift dives and walls dive. The best diving is done out of Wakiki, Hawaii Kai, Waianae, and North Shore.

You could always do the liveaboard for 4 days and then do some land stuff and still get in shore dives or boat dives from the friendly operators. A lot of places do 4 runs a day with a deep/shallow and then a shallow/shallow.

Hope this helps

Bob,
Kauai is beautiful and has very few tourists. The diving is wonderful and the dive shops are great. I’m taking my family back this July for diving and just some low key relaxation. This island is not the tourist mecca that Maui is and lacks the topside attractions many people like. However, the beauty and amazing natural features are second to none.

Kona is outstanding as well. The diving is world class with its manta and black water dives. My lovely bride and I just returned last June and were not disappointed at all. Kona has a small town atmosphere but other natural sites require some significant driving.

Oahu is busy and crowded but very beautiful as well. Diving is good and diverse. Rich in history, Oahu has the best topside activities, bar none.

I checked for the June trip and UPS will ship your gear (about 75lbs) for around a hundred dollars each way. We just took it with us. In Hawaii, shorts and floral shirts are the only clothes need. One medium suitcase was all that we needed. Camera gear and laptop went into the carry on.

One way or the other you will have a great time.

Where are you traveling from? Easier from the west coast than east, but still for max 10 days and the first time there, I agree the Aggressor wouldn't really work well. You wouldn't have much time to do other stuff and I think you really want to do the other stuff. And since you will spend some days diving, I wouldn't try to do more than one island (should you be so tempted.)

We visited the Big Island last summer for 2 weeks, one week on the Aggressor and the other totally land, and we managed just fine with our luggage.

Which island is a tough call. For a compromise between diving options and less touristy I'd be inclined towards the Big Island. The first time we were there was for about 11 days, we did something similar, dove for 3-4 days and spent the rest on land (with relatives.) We actually stayed at the King Kam downtown for a few days so diving with any ops leaving from Kailua Harbor right there was very convienient, then stayed on the Kona Coast (Waikoloa) for the rest of the time. (Don't know how the rooms are at the King Kam these days, our room was ok but dated they were dated when we stayed there, and they don't seem to have a great rep for keeping things up.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom