Hawaii vacation for big marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hack

Reaction score
New on scubaBoard
Just wanting to know if anyone has been to hawaii diving
heard the diving was good only of kona beach ?
any suggestions on what island is the best for seeing big mantas or marine life
and a suggestion on a dive opperation and hotel?

It's good everywhere but best in Kona IMHO. Humpies are in thick now and will be for a couple of more months. Mantas are also best here but I have seen them in Maui too. You may want to move this to the Hawaii section. Aloha!

Hello Hack,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

Welcome Hack-In my opinion, Kona is the best(unless you get someone from Kauai to take you to one of the uninhabited islands near Niihau,which I understand only ocurrs in the summer due to high seas)-especially the further north and the further south you dive on the Kona coast-in regards to fish in general,because its less poulated in these areas and the currents run around the ends of the island and that brings in "big" pelagics looking for a meal on the reefs.The big exception is the mantas,which are easily seen off Kailua with dive operators who advertize these dives at night-though you can see mantas in the wild all over the coast,just not as easily or as likely.Now you are going to have to to do the research on which dive group, if any will take you very far south;there are a couple orgs. near Kohala region that will take you north ,though they tend not to go too far(fuel,time costs).You can shore dive those areas ,but remember what I said about the (they can be very strong) currents,and I wouldn't advise it unless you take someone with local knowledge of these waters....Peace....Saildiver.

Diving good only off Kona? Not exactly true.

I love Maui and plan to move there and the primary reason is diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom