Hawaii Voting to Ban Sale of Shark Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The saga continues:

Hawaii is in the last stretch to have a full ban on shark fins in the State. Bill SB2169 passed Conference committee with a date of July 1, 2010 and is going back for a House vote then to be signed by the Governor. Someone get the Governor a Shark shaped pen!

This PDF is the latest version of Bill SB2169:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2010/Bills/SB2169_sd1_.pdf

Thanks everyone, hope this time it's all go!

Hi all, I started doing some research on shark finning in the US and too my surprise, it is still legal. I finally came across an interesting article stating that shark finning would be banned in Hawaii. After a quick search I came across this thread. You all have done an amazing job informing everyone of the Bill SB2169. I have read through most of the bill attached in the previous post. In Section 6 it states that this bill will take effect July 2010. However, another article I read stated it wouldn't go into effect until July 2011. I am just a little confused and there isn't a whole lot of information about this subject. So my question is, has the ban been in effect since July 2010 or will it go in effect July 2011? Just need a little clarification please :)

Hmmmm.....

It was my impression that new shark fins could not be bought or possessed but that existing stocks would be allowed to be sold (possibly this explains the 1 year gap). Don't quote me on it, but that's how I remember reading it in the local paper. Have you tried a search on the Star Advertiser site?

G

Back
Top Bottom