Hawaii woman hitches ride on Great White shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They donate a whole 25%. I get it now. Oceaninspired is a business. They have some nice product, but I don't think I'll support it. Thanks for the link. Cheers

They donate a whole 25%. I get it now. Oceaninspired is a business. They have some nice product, but I don't think I'll support it. Thanks for the link. Cheers

how much does Ben and Jerry donate when you buy their Rainforest Crunch? Yeah, she is running a business, but I doubt that it makes a her much of a living. The pictures she sells are probably produced at a loss (the cost of diving probably exceeds what it cost to market and sell). Most of her web page is links to on line petitions and organizations. She is paying a telephone solicitor 75% to call you up and donate for the tax write off. She is selling something that you might decorate you home or office with. And is sharing some of the profit with a charity she feels strongly about.

If you don't like her riding a shark, fine. I totally understand that. I also know that almost no one makes money as an underwater photographer and videographer (ask Dr. Bill, he has his own cable show and blog). If her web page said nothing at all about donations, you might have looked at those pictures and decided that one would look great on your wall, and spent the moeny with out ever saying " wow, this girl is making some money off these creatures, I hope she is giving something to their conservation..."

I personally think that the image GoPro made out of this was a positive one. With the music and "hang loose" signs, it shows that GWS arent the mindless killers many make them out to be. And I don't think this will inspire too many people to try a stunt like this. If you were on a dive operation to go diving with Great Whites, there is literally mountains of paperwork that you have to fill out before you go outside of the cage. In reality you have to spend major $$$ to do diving with them and even more to go outside of the cage. It won't be worth it to a lot of people. However, I would LOVE to do this!!! :)
Cheers and happy safe diving!

I didn't mention Ben and Jerry, don't know their history.

Most people have sense enough to not molest endangered animals of any kind. I guess we give here a pass because she is blond and pretty. The best way to support conservation is to leave it alone. She could have easily just done a video of the shark swimming around investigating. We get the point. Riding it was nothing more than an idiotic publicity stunt.

No need to bring up any more comparisons or analogies to justify her actions. In her mind it was a good idea, but in fact, just put her and the shark in harms way. I am sure if she were attacked, the shark would have been hunted down and killed. That's how it is.

Follow the NZ story. Great Whites don't like us.

I didn't mention Ben and Jerry, don't know their history.

Most people have sense enough to not molest endangered animals of any kind. I guess we give here a pass because she is blond and pretty. The best way to support conservation is to leave it alone. She could have easily just done a video of the shark swimming around investigating. We get the point. Riding it was nothing more than an idiotic publicity stunt.

No need to bring up any more comparisons or analogies to justify her actions. In her mind it was a good idea, but in fact, just put her and the shark in harms way. I am sure if she were attacked, the shark would have been hunted down and killed. That's how it is.

Follow the NZ story. Great Whites don't like us.

Exactly

Most people have sense enough to not molest endangered animals of any kind. I guess we give here a pass because she is blond and pretty.

I think it more likely we give a pass here because it wasn't molestation - if it were, the shark was perfectly capable of doing something about it. It was a one-off interaction that harmed neither shark nor human, posed a risk solely to the human, and isn't going to be happening more because tourists saw it on GoPro's site.

And contrary to your claim, if she were attacked while riding a :censored:ing Great White I am sure that everyone involved would have cribbed from the great bard Chris Rock and said That Great White shark didn't go crazy, that Great White Shark went Great White Shark! And then picked up whatever pieces they could find and gone home.

Oxford definition of molest is to harass or pester. You make the call.
Your claim that there was no harm is speculative. No one knows the stress induced to the shark. Why risk it. GW are notoriously fragile in captivity, which may mean their capacity to handle certain stressors is not developed. Your no harm, no foul doesn't work in this case.

Like episodes of JackAss, people will try to emulate what they see. Best not to even give them an idea. Cheers

Oxford definition of molest is to harass or pester. You make the call.
Your claim that there was no harm is speculative. No one knows the stress induced to the shark. Why risk it. GW are notoriously fragile in captivity, which may mean their capacity to handle certain stressors is not developed. Your no harm, no foul doesn't work in this case.

Like episodes of JackAss, people will try to emulate what they see. Best not to even give them an idea. Cheers

I'm sure you're a hit at parties, too.

I've thought about the harassment angle; the shark could very easily speed up a bit & avoid her if so inclined, without having to confront her. This sort of response to an irritant is within the capabilities of most any mobile creature with some visual environmental awareness. If that shark found her presence distressing, stands to reason she couldn't have laid a hand on it.

And the GWS that come up to the cages in Guadalupe of their own initiative suggest that a human presence doesn't stress them much.

Now, whether desensitizing GWS who might've been shy to a human presence is a good idea, ah, not so sure about that. I realize she was free diving & scuba divers blow bubbles, and swimmers don't. Imagine swimmers at a crowded beach looking down and seeing that swimming under them.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom