Hawaiian Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I am thinking of going to Hawaii in mid-January and I have been looking for a liveaboard. The only boat that I have found is the Kona Aggressor. Are there other boats? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, that is pretty much the only one around here - but I've heard excellent things about it. It'll be whale season - you're in for a treat!

That's the only one in Hawaii that I am aware of.

Why is there only one liveaboard in Hawaii? The only reason I could think of is because most/all the dive sites are so close to the islands, that it would be just as easy to jump on a diveboat for the day. Is there more to it?

I think it is also that Hawaii has lots of topside activities and most people go there with the whole family........ so land-based works best for most people. I would LOVE to do a liveaboard there - like the Nekton which would be able to go between Kona and Maui and hit all the best dives in one week.

robint

I agree. I've been on Nekton twice (both exceptional cruises) and I would love to do the SWATH in Hawaii. There are so many dive sites that there could be Hawaii Islands East, Central and West. The Kona Aggressor II does the Big Island, maybe three Nektons could cover the entire state. Naming suggestions are Narwhal, Bowhead and Kogia.

The pass between Kona and Maui is extremely rough seas.

I best all but the most sea experienced would be sick as a dog on the crossing!

I believe DeputyDan is onto the real reason. The Hawaiian Islands are pretty exposed in the Pacific, and pretty much all the diving is on the leeward side of each island (we have steady NE winds most days). Traveling between the islands can be pretty uncomfortable if you don't have sea legs.

The Kona Agressor gets to a lot of sites that day trips boats don't down near the south point of the big island, but they do stay on the big island.

However, if you ever do get a chance to participate in any island crossings, it can be an amazing experience. As much as for the adventure of the trip as for the diving itself. My first diving job in Hawaii was with the no longer operating Free Spirit Sailing club. I was the divemaster/crew. We always departed from Oahu, but we made trips to the big island -diving Molokini and the north shore of Molokai on the way back, trips to the backside of Lanai, trips to the north shore of Molokai. I was on the water just about every day back then, and I took 2 dramamine for the upwind crossings. I never passed up a chance to go though, and still look at those trips and some of the best diving/sailing/sighting seeing trips I ever took.

Back
Top Bottom