HD on the cheap??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I need an experienced guide here...

I like shooting video to document on our local dives and share with friends, but I'm not horribly serious about it. All my shots are with a tiny p/s digicam in movie mode (skip to 1:00 or so to get past the pre-dive portion):

The thing is, at 640x480, by the time I widescreen, crop, perform any software image stabilization, etc. I'm left with a source file that's maybe 500x300. That's pretty grainy even for Youtube on HQ/HD quality.

So, I've been looking into getting something that shoots HD. And the more I look, the more I realize that getting a decent "real" setup (HF-10, SR-12, etc.) is $$$$. I just don't think I can justify $2-5k for something I'm really not that good at right now.

So, what about HD-capable digicams? I know they're not as good, but maybe they're good enough. Are there any resources out there that test the UW-relevant aspects of digicam movie-mode? Video quality in low light, capture bitrate, ISO during capture, whether the zoom works while shooting, etc?

Also, does anyone know of a camera that would fit the following bill:

• Small
  • 720p video capable
  • Can zoom while shooting
  • 28mm wide end (or wide port available for housing)
  • housing rated to ~200ft
  • Good low-light/high-ISO quality (i won't have a video light)
  • Less than $1k with housing
If I'm going to upgrade, I want to make sure it's better than my trusty Sony DSC-T30!

Thanks!

Thats pretty dam good for a P/S camera. I must say your music selection fit the video and cued pretty good with the video. I watched the whole movie, so its good, keep up the good work.

As far as 720p video cam, check this thread here thats the only one I know of below $1,000.00. Unless you buy something used, which you can usually get a deal. Or grab something like a Canon HV20, HV30, HG10, HG20, and an ikelite housing, your looking around $1600.00. Keep and eye on the classifieds here in video, might see something.

Dude! That is a pretty good video you put together there. You definitely need to buy a real camcorder and housing! I am looking forward to your videos already. :D

As far as cheap, Ikelite makes inexpensive housings, as does Equinox. The difference is size and weight. Either type will run from $750-1200 depending on which camcorder and accessories needed.
You don't need lights to shoot videos in Calif waters. I have done it for 4 yrs now with nothing but the red filter and my videos look okay. Lights are great, but not necessary.
My Calif videos: California, Channel Islands on Vimeo

If you can bump up your budget to around $1500-2000, then I would look at some rigs like these:
Ikelite | 6016.11 Mechanical Underwater Video Housing | 6016.11
or
Ikelite | 6038.93 Mechanical Underwater Video Housing kit with
or

Ikelite | 6081 Mechanical Underwater Video Housing | 6081 | B&H
with
Canon | VIXIA HG20 AVCHD Hard Disk Drive High | 3085B001 | B&H

just some examples....

robin:D

Dude! That is a pretty good video you put together there. You definitely need to buy a real camcorder and housing! I am looking forward to your videos already. :D

+1 RobinT... I think the movie was fantastic for a P/S in standard def. I think he needs full HD video.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful advice!

My reluctance to go with a real camcorder is that I'm a total gear nut. If I get something that I can "get by with," I'll usually make the most of it and not complain a lot (my current p/s has no flash, no adapter threads, no manual WB, etc.) But if I go with a real camcorder, then my nature is, as I've joyously read on TBPF's thread, to go whole hog - gotta get the best housing, external screen and non-penetrating controls, newest generation ACVHD with better CMOS sensor and improved low light capabilities, etc. And that would be a walletary disaster!

On the other hand, I'm not keen on "throwing away money" on a half-baked solution either, and if digicam-based-HD isn't going to be much better than what I have now (or I have to spend $1,500 on it where a camcorder + Ikelite is ~$2000), I'd rather wait a year and revisit.

Robin - your videos from CI are awesome, what was the viz like, and what rig are you using to shoot? We usually don't have quite as much sunlight penetration here in Monterey, and the kelp cover can definitely get thick enough to make things absolutely unshootable with available light (for my camera) . There were several times when I thought I captured some nice looking video only to see inky blackness when I downloaded the clip. I think the tiny sensor in my pocket camera is to blame for that, and if there's a reason I jump to a full camcorder, that'd be it.

Thanks again.

I've been seriously considering selling my Top Dawg video housing, which works with any Sony video camera with a LANC connection, including, as I understand it, several HD models. Shoot me a PM if you're interested... it would probably be within your price range.

Robin - your videos from CI are awesome, what was the viz like, and what rig are you using to shoot? We usually don't have quite as much sunlight penetration here in Monterey, and the kelp cover can definitely get thick enough to make things absolutely unshootable with available light (for my camera) . There were several times when I thought I captured some nice looking video only to see inky blackness when I downloaded the clip. I think the tiny sensor in my pocket camera is to blame for that, and if there's a reason I jump to a full camcorder, that'd be it.

Thanks again.

My videos are from a primitive Sony HC-42 bought 3 yrs ago when I was just like you, thinking about video but not wanting to spend too much. It's not HD, just a lowly SD camcorder and Ikelite housing with reverse circuitry and mirror (works great).
I loved my little SD rig but it is time for me to upgrade now that I have proven my love for shooting video. I shot still photos for several years before switching to video because I was finding myself "missing" things on the dive. Back on the boat after every dive people would be talking about the eagle ray, or the frogfish or free swimming moray... and the whole dive I had been sitting still trying to compose the perfect still shot of a fish. I was very frustrated! I started thinking on every dive "this would be a great video scene" (like those darned sea lions!) so I offered my still rig to my hubby and asked him to buy me a cheap video rig. He went for it and bought me the video setup I used for 3 years. :D

Vis on some of the videos was 30-40', like the Grace, Anacapa, and San Clemente. Vis at Catalina and Santa Barbara was much better. I always end up with lots of footage too dark due to sun being in wrong position or poor vis, but you just don't use that or you work around it in editing.

One of the biggest things to understand about shooting video is how important it is to get a fast computer and good editing program. I am about to upgrade mine. Editing takes hours and hours and hours of time, you watch the same video clips over and over and over. You listen to music tracks over and over as you edit. YOU spend more time editing than diving!!!!!

Go for it. You don't have to break the bank to shoot good videos. Most of what makes videos good has to do with the person behind the camcorder, not how much it cost.

Yep, that's actually the camera that spurred me to start looking into this more seriously :)

After reading about the Sea&Sea, my thought was $600 is the price point for any number of new Sony/Canon/Fuji/Casio/Panasonic P&S cameras that capture 720p, including housings. That throws the market wide open, and I'd love to find a resource that tests the quality of the movie modes on these cameras (especially low light, WB, etc). $600 is fine if it's going to be a good step up from what I have now...it's collecting the data to determine how big of a step up that's got me flummoxed right now.

Back
Top Bottom