HD vs SD recording

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure that your basic question was answered. "...does the camcorder download into your editing program the video in HD or SD or both..."

The answer is that (at least for the Sony HDV tape cameras) they offer an option to download from the camera as HD or SD. So even if your computer is not "current", you could download as SD and edit as your have in the past, but you can retain the original HD content in case you ever want to use it as HD in the future.

Yes, as the others have said, you can download hd into your computer and edit.

I have not used the western digital wd tv media player. Pakman over on Wetpixel was raving about it. I believe he even uses a little flash usb stick with his, so you don't necessarily need a external drive. I put it on my Christmas list, maybe Santa will get me one. :D

Oh, and speaking about external drives, they are getting pretty cheap. I use a laptop for work so a little portable drive like the western digital passport is very useful for work and personal use. You can get a 160gb for under $70. I got the 320gb for $89.

thanks everybody! Good discussion here.....:D I think I got my answers.

I am leaning towards the Sony HC-9, I can pick one up right now for around $625. I am guessing that there will be a newer model coming out in the next few months so the price will drop even more, but who knows. I haven't bought it yet. The other camcorder I have been looking at online is the SR11 or SR12. Both look nice, but I don't have that option of keeping the tapes and burning HD videos later on. I like the archiving option you have with tape.

Both are great, you can't go wrong with either. The HC9 is the best selling tape HDV camera, and the SR12 is the most popular solid state camera right now. Both have a wide variety of housings available too, which is always a good thing

I highly recommend a housing which permits manual white balance, I know most can be fixed in post, but getting proper color to begin with makes it much easier in my opinion.

Which ever you choose, have fun with it. I can't wait to get my housing wet again, heading to Roatan again on Dec 27th.

Vic

I agree, Definitely a must Vic!! If you are going with the HC9, that would give you the Gates, L&M, and Ikelite housings as options. For the SR11/Sr12 it would be the Seatool, L&M and Ikelite.

Back
Top Bottom