head hitting first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a 40# eclipse BP/W and have been diving yoke AL80s (rentals) with Apeks DS4 first stage. What can be done about my head hitting my first stage when i look forwards when i'm properly trimmed? I try to get the top band up as far as possible on the tank, but i still whack my head on the first stage. Any suggestions?

Had the same problem. she changed BC's and got one with a better back plate. amnd the problem seemed to go away. Want to buy a BC with less than 20 dives on it?

lamont:
I've got a 40# eclipse BP/W and have been diving yoke AL80s (rentals) with Apeks DS4 first stage. What can be done about my head hitting my first stage when i look forwards when i'm properly trimmed? I try to get the top band up as far as possible on the tank, but i still whack my head on the first stage. Any suggestions?

Yoke or DIN is going to make no difference in whether you are hitting your head or not.

The top band should be at the break of the neck.

You're not going to be able to look up or anything but you should be able to look forward and down.

The only other adjustment that would affect this would be your harness.

Hopefully any shop that retails Halcyon gear should be able to give you proper help in the use of your backplate/wing. I would suggest you discuss it with them and see what suggestions they give you.

This might sound too simple but have you tried turning the first stage inverse?

d33ps1x:
There is only one hp port on the DS4. It should be facing the left side so your gauge can be clipped to the single d-ring on the left side of your waist belt.

Therefore there is only one way for it to go.

d33ps1x - It doesn't swivel once inverted? I know that's what I did with my Scubapro setup. & given I'm short torso'd I tried just about everything else.

Lamont - The other thing that may help would be to use a shorter tank. A Super 80, a steel 95, an AL 63.

Paula

diver_paula:
d33ps1x - It doesn't swivel once inverted? I know that's what I did with my Scubapro setup. & given I'm short torso'd I tried just about everything else.

Lamont - The other thing that may help would be to use a shorter tank. A Super 80, a steel 95, an AL 63.

Paula

The DS4 isn't a swivel first stage. The DST is.

http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/regs/reg_apeks.html

diver_paula:
d33ps1x - Thank you for the info.

Paula

No worries. Also not to be condradictory or know it allish which I would never claim to be but a shorter tank won't alleviate this divers issues.

They moved the cam straps to the correct position which is helping their trim and the valve is as low as it can possibly be. Putting a shorter tank on will re-introduce the trim issue by taking away the lower torso weight that is countracting the head down tendancy and he/she will still be hitting their head.

Regards

d33ps1x:
No worries. Also not to be condradictory or know it allish which I would never claim to be but a shorter tank won't alleviate this divers issues.

They moved the cam straps to the correct position which is helping their trim and the valve is as low as it can possibly be. Putting a shorter tank on will re-introduce the trim issue by taking away the lower torso weight that is countracting the head down tendancy and he/she will still be hitting their head.

Regards

Guess I was just thinking of my situation. Having a short torso, the distance between my head and legs isn't all that much. I was either hitting my head or bumping my legs. & it 'twas quite uncomfortable. I eventually found the 'best' (i.e. most comfortable) locatoin of the tank for me, with the Scubapro valve inverted. Several years later I switched to ST95s. And a few years later to a BP&wings.

Paula

p.s. I'd never call you a know it all. At least not until you really got to be a pain! :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom