Headache after a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyA24

Reaction score
I did my first 2 ocean dives last Sunday and I've a light headache since then. I am not sure what is causing it but here is what I did that day:

I skipped breakfast and wasn't able to get lunch before boarding the boat as I was running late most of the day. I had a small snack. 1st dive Max 38FT most of the time at 35 Ft. 38:00 min bottom time. 1 hour surface interval followed by the same exact dive as the first one. We did a safety stop on both dives for practice. After the dive I carried the tanks and equipment back to the car and went home to eat. I was very tired and weak beacuase of not eating. The next day I felt better but the headache is still there. It is the type of headache that makes me feel tired and want to sleep. My ears on that dive equalized very good and did not have any problems to cause a sinus headache. My only guess is my headache is due to not eating well, maybe dyhdration (sp?), or from the boat diesel fumes that annoyed me most of the trip. My only concern is how long will it last and is it going to happen every dive. I called DAN and they said it could be caused by exhaustion and not taking deep breathes and have CO2 build up. Thanks for the help

Jimmy

For me, there would be a few things that give me headache during a dive
1) holding my breath as I tried to creep closer to a fish or small critters to take a picture. Finally I figure out that I would rather not have a great picture than getting a headache and ruin the rest of the day so now I make sure that my breathing is regular all the time.
2) inadequate rest and inadequate food. This is very important and is the reason why I get fatter on every dive trip!
3) I do try to stay away from exhaust fume, some people are not too bother by it but I do.
4) some people get a headache when they ascend too fast and get reverse block but generally reverse block does not cause a headache for a long time ie over a day like in your case, I think.
5) sometimes a plain old motion sickness would give me worse headache than nausea, again plenty of rest before and in between dive usually work.

I find that being well hydrated seems to cut the headaches. Drink lots of water prior to diving.

I am starting to think my headaches have nothing to do with diving. It is been 5 days since my last dive and I still have the headache. It is the type of headache that makes me feel weak. Oh well if it stays untill Monday I will go to my Doctor.

Jimmy

ssra30 once bubbled...
For me, there would be a few things that give me headache during a dive
1) holding my breath as I tried to creep closer to a fish or small critters to take a picture. Finally I figure out that I would rather not have a great picture than getting a headache and ruin the rest of the day so now I make sure that my breathing is regular all the time.

Holding your breath under water can kill.

I disagree with DAN. I get long-term headaches from breathing noxious fumes from combustine engines. Rest and asprin over the next 2-3 days are my relief.

I'm not a doctor but I've heard that co2 causes this problem and can be remedied by deep breaths followed by breathing out slowly but completely. Get it all out of there.

I got C02 headaches when I first started diving. After reading this board, I learn't to breath out slowly and fully. That took care of all my headaches.

i only get headaches when i dive in boston... its cuz of my hood!! its not tight, its actually regular fitting but somehow it affects my head.. ?? i tried diving with a hood in tropical waters and also got a headache.. it must be the hood (for me, that is..)

Back
Top Bottom