Headaches after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wondering what causes my headaches. I always get one after my second dive of the day.

I have adjusted my mask to make sure it's not to tight, I have dove both air and nitrox. I can equalize no problem, and I don't change my depth drastically or frequently while under.

I find my mouthpiece gets very annoying and tiring. Could this be my problem? I was reading the back of the package on the mouthpieces that form to your bite and it said that it eleviated headaches.

Is this my problem, or are there any other suggestions of what could be causing these?

You may be breathing too shallow in an effort to conserve air. Lots of divers tend to take small half breaths during their dives in an effort to make their tanks last longer, which can lead to headaches...

sounds like you have most of the basics covered. Try a different mouthpiece and see if that helps.

Try one of those Sea-Cure fitted mouthpieces and drink LOTS of water. I used to get headaches after my second dive too...not anymore.

I often get slight headaches after diving. Not bad ones, mind you, just "barely there" headaches. I have attributed this (in all my vast knowledge and medical experience- please note the extreme sarcasm) to my mask. I keep everything equalized, but there is always slight pressure on my forehead. Period.

Get yourself checked out though, just in case. See if your dive shop can put you in touch with a doctor that knows diving- or check with DAN. It might be nothing at all... or it might be a problem that can turn into a serious health issue.

kelster:
Wondering what causes my headaches. I always get one after my second dive of the day.

I find my mouthpiece gets very annoying and tiring. Could this be my problem? I was reading the back of the package on the mouthpieces that form to your bite and it said that it eleviated headaches.

Where is the headache? (and don't say my head :D !) where does it start? does it 'spread'?

skynscuba:
Are you drinking enough water?

hydration is the key! but not if you only drink 20 minutes before the dive and between the dives.....hydration has to be a gradual thing, drink plenty of water days before and it will help -- heck since I started hydrating properly my "almost" headaches went away

All of the above is good to look into but also see if you are skip breathing. Like taking too shallow of a breathe to conserve gas, if you pause/hold you breathe between inhale and exhale, that can cause it. That and sitting too close to the fumes from the boat's motor.

Headaches are an extremely nonspecific symptom.

One common cause of headache is CO2 retention, which can occur if a diver is skip breathing to extend his gas supply, or is breathing too fast and shallow and not clearing his CO2.

Headaches can also be caused by tension, especially in the muscles of the neck. TMJ problems can cause headache (your mouthpiece concern). Sinus squeeze can cause fairly bad headaches. Eyestrain can be associated with headaches. Although not usually described as such, headache is something I often see associated with dehydration and seems to be relieved by rehydrating people.

There are also multiple serious medical causes of headache, although if yours are only occurring after diving, are mild and self-limited, those causes are less likely.

The only way to find out if your mouthpiece is the cause would be to find one that was more comfortable and see if the headaches stopped occurring.

Back
Top Bottom