Headaches and Headspins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jam was one of my test subjects. :) When you get enough buddies, you can delegate tasks...Jam breathes for me, Howard sets up my gear, Chip does all my swimming...

waterbearer:
Jam was one of my test subjects. :) When you get enough buddies, you can delegate tasks...Jam breathes for me, Howard sets up my gear, Chip does all my swimming...

:14: and I also get to breathe air in Chip's tanks.. :14:

I get this every so often as well. In my case it is a reverse block, dizzyness stops when equalized, usually about 15 seconds.

Maybe you get a little stressed in this dive and you breath become too shallow. Or you held you skip breath for a while or maybe a contamination of the air supply. All this things make the CO2 in you blood increase. Some times it occurs almost immediately after surfacing and breathing atmospheric air with the resultant sudden decrease in blood carbon dioxide, one of the carbon dioxide "off effects."

Also check your wetsuit. Maybe it's too tight to you neck.

Or just some thing stressed you. Tension headache are very common in novice divers.

As mentioned....
* Hydrate pre and post dive. 1/2L of water each time works for me.
* Have some energy in the system. I keep the 6 packs of Ritz PB crackers handy before and between dives. If I'm extending a meal time then I'll have a PB&J for the SI.
* Breathe deeply, don't shortchange the exhale.

Also:
* Do you wear prescription eyeglasses? Do you have a prescription mask to match?
*Is your mask or hood too tight?

Pete

Are you skip breathing? Remember not to hold your breath at any time!! even if its just for a few seconds between inhaling and exhaling ...I have had severe headaches because I used to do this (not even realising that I did it!) but I now I pay a lot of attention to make sure I don't hold my breath EVER...very dangerous!

Have you gotten dizzy since then? Its possible to have calcium deposits behind your ear drum that become lose after a dive -- can mess with your equalibrium for weeks until it settles somewhere.....

I'm going to vote with the CO2 bandwagon. You may also want to get the air in the tank you were using tested for purity.

Crimson Ghost:
Have you gotten dizzy since then? Its possible to have calcium deposits behind your ear drum that become lose after a dive -- can mess with your equalibrium for weeks until it settles somewhere.....

This is a good one for dizzy! I have a student that almost every time get dizzy after her dives. She even went to Doc with no result at all. She seem to be very healthy,
Where can I find more info about the calcium deposits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom