Headed for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Leaving for Belize this coming Saturday for a week on the Nekton Pilot. Anyone been there lately ?? Heard that the weather has been great and seas have been calm. Looking forward to getting some good pics and just kicking back.

'Slogger

I was there last week---everything was super!! Have fun and give us a trip report when you return. If you get a chance to do cave tubing, do it. it's an interesting experience. Try to avoid a day when the cruise ships are in.

I was there for ten days in late December. The people, food and diving are great. I highly recommend that little backwater country. Ecotourism, centering around Mayan ruins and diving, are the main attractions. Have a wonderful trip.

Just got back Sunday - had a great time. Sea was calm - one day of wind and rain 5 days of sun. Vis is good but could be better. WAY better than here so not complaining, just the water at some sites was a bit cloudy. Worst vis was about 40 feet, normal 60 - 80. Temp was 78 in the water. Crew was really great cannot say enough - they make the trip, food was good. Morning cookies after the first dive are excellent.

Saw lots of stuff. Only one Eagle ray, but others saw more. Dolphins one dive, otherwise typical reef stuff. Did see a decorator crab, but could not get a picture that worked at all.

Some hints. Take at least three bathing suits and having two wetsuits was the smartest thing I did. Unplanned, I took two thicknesses just in case I was cold, but ended up just alternating. Never had to get into a wet wetsuit once. If you don't have a tank light buy one. You must have a tank light and at $3 a lightstick for each night dive you may as well own a tank light. (Hate them - I want to be able to turn all my lights off and with a stick you can't!) I took my own supply of chocolate - but I am particular about my chocolate.

They will be late picking you up - don't believe the times on the schedule re pickup and the contact number they give does not work. I tried it and the hotel desk tried it - no service. The hotel desk told us that they are always late picking up at the hotel so don't sweat it, they will be there and the rest of the trip runs on a pretty tight schedule.

Three couples did not get their bags until later in the week - airlines lost the luggage. Make sure you have your regs and mask in your carry on - everything else can be borrowed.

The steel tanks are great. I dove with no weight, just the SS backplate - really nice. My buddy was into the yellow pretty regularly with the extra bottom time however. On Nitrox this was not an issue, but Nitrox is expensive on this boat.

The no alchohol policy is enforced - first drink, last dive. So you may not want as much as you might normally take on a trip. I ended up drinking 2 glasses of wine after the last dive on Friday and that was it. There is a night dive every night so I would rather dive than drink however and after the night dive I was usually in bed pretty quickly.

As on most liveaboards the generator runs all night so bring earplugs or sleeping pills if that will keep you awake. (I prefer drugs as blocking wet ears with earplugs is a recipie for swimmers ear)

You will have a great time. A good number of the divers on the boat were repeat customers and I would go again in a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom