Headed to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hoping to get a HiLux but we ended up with a Wingle made by Great Wall Motors. Where else do you get to drive a Chinese vehicle :D

I was hoping to get a HiLux but we ended up with a Wingle made by Great Wall Motors. Where else do you get to drive a Chinese vehicle :D
China.

Wait, they don't buy those there...

AB and Buddy dive have HiLuxs. They look like beaters, but I think they can go forever with just gas.

If I take the Manta Ray at Weber's Joy out of the equation, hands down the best dives so far this week were at Margate Bay.

We got the Wingle from AB. Stayed at CCB but Buddy Dive was out of vehicles. Actually, it was a really nice truck.

unc, We really enjoyed Margate too. Got to dive Red Slave as there didn't really seem to be much current anywhere all last week.

You've got some really good suggestions in this thread, but after c15+ trips to Bon (and also ignoring the Manta seen at Cliff) I'd go with Tori's Reef, dive it late in the afternoon and there a good chance you'll get eagle rays feeding on the sand on the swimout, and Oil Slick leap, as dive sites on Bonaire go its pretty standard but the "leap of faith" from the rocks entry make it one of my favourites.
With regard to the other comments about falling over on entries, if you're in any doubt about you ability to stay upright when getting in do as my partner does and put your kit together on the shoreline, drag it out till your in chest deep water and put it all on there. buy a couple of big caribiners and hook everything onto your BCD. Never EVER try to duck walk in with your fins on - I watched a guy try to do it at the Willemstoren lighthouse site once (ankle to knee deep for 50 yds) - he spent more time on his ar*se than he did upright !

buy a couple of big caribiners and hook everything onto your BCD. Never EVER try to duck walk in with your fins on - I watched a guy try to do it at the Willemstoren lighthouse site once (ankle to knee deep for 50 yds) - he spent more time on his ar*se than he did upright !

The best item I've found for this is down at the local Home Depot (or similar). Go to the garage organizer/hanger section and they have an item called a hang-all Velcro strap organizer. They come in different lengths and have a small carabiner with Velcro straps. Velcro up your fins and snap them on your BCD to keep your hands free while you wade in.

You've got some really good suggestions in this thread, but after c15+ trips to Bon
Is the c a typo or have you really done 115 Bonaire trips?

if you have, you're my new hero.

115 Unfortunately not - but boy do I wish! that's UK shorthand for circa. :)

115 Unfortunately not - but boy do I wish! that's UK shorthand for circa. :)
That's still better than my 2.

Don't worry, I'll still look up to you. :)

My favorite used to be Angel City, we were just there ten days ago and were very disappointed in the condition of the reef. That said anything down around Marget was outstanding, did a dive at Margate with a couple of friends and found a ripping current, so we just drifted it for over a kilometer and a turtle joined us for over forty of our seventy minute dive. Tolo and Something Special are also great. If you find some calm weather look up VIP Divers and hire Bas Tol for some east coast shore dives. Boca Onima is worth it just for the entry and Lac Cai is a fantastic night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom