Headed to Kona in April after long absence - anything new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used it twice. Once on Kona and once on Oahu. Kona is easier since they can leave it in the airport parking lot for you. I had 6 people so needed a van and it was fine. I saved 300 on the week that way. I did not get the added insurance on kona because it's kona. On Oahu I did because that is like a tropical Seattle and don't trust people much.
Just booked the flight and am back looking at cars again. Best I've found from a rental company without paying up front is $1472 for the 15 days. Looking at Turo, there are a bunch offered at around $900-$950, but with insurance and the $120 airport fee they all seem to want, the Turo benefit is down to about $250. Not nothing, but have to weigh that against the convenience (problem resolution, post-rental cleaning), relative uncertainty over contract performance, and my CC insurance. The Turo guys also seem to all forbid 'off-road' use, which is an ill-defined term but a potential source of problem.

Just booked the flight and am back looking at cars again. Best I've found from a rental company without paying up front is $1472 for the 15 days. Looking at Turo, there are a bunch offered at around $900-$950, but with insurance and the $120 airport fee they all seem to want, the Turo benefit is down to about $250. Not nothing, but have to weigh that against the convenience (problem resolution, post-rental cleaning), relative uncertainty over contract performance, and my CC insurance. The Turo guys also seem to all forbid 'off-road' use, which is an ill-defined term but a potential source of problem.

There wasn't any "airport" fee when we were there so that is new. We just put $20 cash in the center console to cover parking in the lot and used their provided lot access card. For 15 days you're looking at a hefty cost no matter what. Check through Costco if you have a membership. I just contracted an SUV in Boston through them for $30 more than Turo so I chose the convenience of the rental company and my personal insurance

Don't know how universal that airport fee is, but the first few I looked at had it @$120, or didn't specify the airport as a pick-up option. So far Costco and Discount Hawaii Car Rental are the best, but not by much.

Check the status before you go. One of the operators has their big boat out of the water right now for repair, so they are only operating a six-pack. Still good service, just a smaller boat. Did a two-tank manta dive with them that featured mantas and bottlenose dolphins high on pufferfish venom. I have seen nothing like it in nearly 40 years of diving. water is the clearest I had seen in my four previous trips to the Islands

Also, two of the restaurants, one of them very well known, where I had planned to dine were closed for the day due to staffing shortages. Be flexible. I got to both of them. Food and service is as good as ever.

Anything else new to know about? I read that the dolphin encounter rules have changed. Running in to them was always a great highlight to a trip. Guess I'll have to make sure I know the new rules.
Did you learn anything in particular with regards to encountering dolphins? What I read sounded like it was more aimed at the snorkel/swim tours that setup shop nearly on top of a pod. I'm assuming that if I'm on a dive and a pod comes through that I can just relax and enjoy the show (certainly not chase or swim after), but don't want to violate any rules.

Also, my partner and I will be in Kona April 13 - 19th, staying close to center of Kailua-Kona. We have a couple boat dives scheduled (manta on 14th and adv adventure on 15th; both with Jack's) but otherwise want to get in some shore diving. Not sure yet of specific schedule and may likely play it by ear, but if you care for some dive buddies and schedules work out we'd be up for it. We've also got a rental car and depending on whether you opted for a rental we might be able to fit the three of us for some dives (it's a compact Ford Focus or similar, so might need to do some tetris-ing 🤣). Feel free to DM me if you like and we can exchange contact info.

Did you learn anything in particular with regards to encountering dolphins? What I read sounded like it was more aimed at the snorkel/swim tours that setup shop nearly on top of a pod. I'm assuming that if I'm on a dive and a pod comes through that I can just relax and enjoy the show (certainly not chase or swim after), but don't want to violate any rules.

Also, my partner and I will be in Kona April 13 - 19th, staying close to center of Kailua-Kona. We have a couple boat dives scheduled (manta on 14th and adv adventure on 15th; both with Jack's) but otherwise want to get in some shore diving. Not sure yet of specific schedule and may likely play it by ear, but if you care for some dive buddies and schedules work out we'd be up for it. We've also got a rental car and depending on whether you opted for a rental we might be able to fit the three of us for some dives (it's a compact Ford Focus or similar, so might need to do some tetris-ing 🤣). Feel free to DM me if you like and we can exchange contact info.
Thought I replied a few days ago, but I don't see it. I haven't looked into the dolphin regs yet, but I recall there was some kind of minimum stand-off distance. I'll check with the dive shop to see how it's being enforced at places like Honaunau and Hookena.

Let's do some diving if we can work it out. Turns out I'll have a car - prices came down some, and my timeshare org saved me some $$ on the car as well, so I ended up with one for the entire 17 days, for under $1K.

Just got back from there. If you are near Ali'i check out using the Kona shuttle to get around town. I found two popular restaurants closed one day due to lack of staff. Kona seemed less crowded than in pre covid visits, noticed more empty store fronts, half the stalls at the downtown market, no wait for a table at 6:00 pm on a saturday night.
I saved on a rental car by booking through Costco Travel.
Diving is as good as ever. Clearest water I have ever seen there on this last trip.
People are as friendly as ever.

Landing in Kona on Thursday and scheduled a bunch of dives with Jack's and KDC. Any particularly enjoyable sites to report back on? I've scheduled some night dives, manta dive, and also considering a long-range dive with Kona Honu.

Dove the Mantas with Jacks in January and it was excellent. Surf was high while I was there so didn't get get a chance to do more shore diving. $17.99 was average price for any entree for each of us, drinks off happy hour were $15. Headed to Cozumel in May and looking forward to 10 peso ($.50) tacos and 20 Peso $1 Coronas. Regarding rental cars, I have managed to find some good codes and my week in Hawaii was $350, started at $1,000. Ask your friends for good corporate codes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom