Heading to Cozumel in June - Any help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChevaYEA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I want to head to Cozumel in June (when we can leave the kids for a week), specifically for diving. We were thinking of an all inclusive stay at someplace where they have an onsite dive operation just to be able to budget better and keep costs down. We are both experienced divers and want to hit at least two per day, maybe three with the option of some shore dives if there are any nearby.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like that or suggestions for other plans? We insist on having a pool. Room quality isn't as important as the diving, but we are on vacation of course...

My wife and I want to head to Cozumel in June (when we can leave the kids for a week), specifically for diving. We were thinking of an all inclusive stay at someplace where they have an onsite dive operation just to be able to budget better and keep costs down. We are both experienced divers and want to hit at least two per day, maybe three with the option of some shore dives if there are any nearby.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like that or suggestions for other plans? We insist on having a pool. Room quality isn't as important as the diving, but we are on vacation of course...

Is an All Inclusive a definite must ?

all inclusives can be great in some places but imo the best thing about coz are its people and gr8 intown restuarants so i always stay in town now.

Since you mentioned keeping costs down, Scuba Club Cozumel is a good bargain. Nearly all-inclusive (drinks not included, diving is). The pool is pretty small, but for shore diving free tanks, as many as you want. Pretty good shore diving at night, okay for check-out dives during the day. The food is good to excellent, service is great and rooms are good and clean. The on-site operation is part of the deal with great DMs and crew. We've stayed at SCC twice and would do so again, but this year are opting for non-AI to try some great food in town. Just something new to try.

There are a lot of good dive ops there. Personally, I prefer to be a bit away from town. It is quite a bit more quiet and relaxing in my opinion. Scuba Club Coz is great if you want to stay in town. There are a couple others that are very reasonable there also. I prefer Fiesta Americana, mostly because the rooms are nice (for the price) and it is south of town (quiet and closer to the most popular dive sites). As someone else said, I also prefer the european plan to the all inclusive. There are some great restaurants and culture to be experienced away from the resorts (and food really isn't that expensive). Good Luck

another vote for Scuba Club Cozumel.......
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

we just booked and will be there the last week of March. :D
do a search on trip reports for Scuba Club and you will get some by Jlyle here on SB. Excellent info and tons of photos. I think it is what you are looking for, too. I know it is exactly what we are looking for.

robin:D

For full out AI, I'd go with the Occidental Grand, beautiful property, cut out of the beach side jungle and mangroves, good food, not the same thing on the buffets day in and day out, ( I'm going on experience from 3 years ago), big, roomy rooms, with safes and stocked bar included, shower and tub for rinsing gear, 2 pools on site. It's very far south so boat rides are short to the reef, but taxi cabs are around $20 each way to town.(the only real drawback)

You may check into Hotel Cozumel also, they have both AI and non-AI packages I belive. A very nice pool area, small beach, they are very close to town, walking distance for sure. Not sure who the hotel's dive is, may be Dive Paradise, but don't quote me.

I think El Cid La Cieba is doing AI packages also, very nice property, great staff and what I think is one of the best proprty locations on the island. Some folks don't like the closeness to the International Pier, but I like the activity. Haven't been out there in a few years, but shore diving out in front of La Cieba at "Airplane flats" used to be pretty good, shore diving on Coz isn't great anywhere, but with some nosing around you can find some pretty cool stuff in the shallows.

to the no-frills side, but still nice properties, I'd look at Blue Angel resort, of course, small 22 room hotel, right on the water, small but adequate pool, nice little restaurant for breakfast, lunch and I think happy hour now, good sized rooms, one of the best dive ops on site, only a mile from town, we walk to town quite often, although maybe not so much in June:shocked2:, it will be getting a little hot by then.

Villablaca gets good reviews, is close to where Blue Angel is located, I think Papa Hogs is thier dive op, but again don't quote me and Casa del Mar is also a long time favorite 'divers' hotel with a faithful following.

Going to Coz, like most places the first time, can be pretty confusing when it comes to picking lodging. Stay out of the Northern hotel zone, as most dive ops can't afford to spend the gas to go up there for pickups so, they will require you to take a cab downtown to meet up with them, that can add up quick.

Narrow it down to a few properties that seem to have what you are looking for and pick one, then while you are on Coz, take notice of where the others are at and maybe even stop by the proprties check them out to see if you might want to make a change on your next trip...Oh yes, there will be a next trip :d

Sharky60 made some good points about the hotels.

As for the AI I would stay away from that on Cozumel. I love AI on the main land when I am just sitting around drinking, enjoying the sun and getting fat. But if you are looking to dive 2-3 times in a day I would stay close to down and enjoy going out to eat there. You get much better food and I found that we could eat and drink for much less by going into town then doing the AI plans and we were able to enjoy the culture and experience of Mexico.

I would suggest that you stay with walking distance of town though. Because Cab rides every night add up quick usually it seem to be about 8 bucks for the first couple of miles and then they start to add on from there. Enjoy your trip.

We are going to Fiesta Americana in April. It is our second trip. We are going AI. It is south about 8 miles out of town. We found the AI to be cheap, which made you feel OK if we went to town for dinner. The dive shop is Dive House. Good Organization. FA has a pier for other dive ops to pick up if DH is not selected. Good snorkling on the shore. Free tanks on dive days for local diving. Food is good and convenient for diving. Restaurant is right at the beach so easy to eat and then take off. Orbitz was $1700 for both of us (air, room, AI) Diving is $70 for 2 tank dive. Normal for most ops in cozumel. Most of the reefs are south of town, so hotels south of town have shorter boat rides.

Good luck. The diving is the greatest.

When are you going in June? We will be there June 2-9th staying at Casa Del Mar but diving with Blue XTSea. We did Scuba Club before and definitely would go back but this time we have some non-divers on a budget and Casa Del Mar fit our bill better. Scuba Club is definitely diver oriented but if your a fan of fast boats I don't think they have any. Its location is great and would be great if everyone is diving.

Back
Top Bottom