Heading to St Thomas - USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerry is good people.

Does Duane still DM like he wanted to?

I don't know. I never met Duane, just sitting down and talking with Jerry do I even know his name. He did not Dm when I was with him, a guy named Joshea was our dm (another really good guy).

Happy Anniversary! Second vote for Oceana. A bit at the end of the road, literally, but worth finding. Also in Frenchtown - Bella Blue, Epernay (French), Enkai (sushi). Mafolie offers outstanding views. Virgilio's in old town Charlotte Amalie is small intimate Italian. Room with a View at Bluebeards Castle also has a great view and used to have a $5 Happy Hour menu. Pesce and XO in Red Hook are also good. Pack your bug spray and apply early and often, it was a wet fall. Dengue, Zika and Chikungunya are not the mementos you want to take home.

Happy Anniversary! Second vote for Oceana. A bit at the end of the road, literally, but worth finding. Also in Frenchtown - Bella Blue, Epernay (French), Enkai (sushi). Mafolie offers outstanding views. Virgilio's in old town Charlotte Amalie is small intimate Italian. Room with a View at Bluebeards Castle also has a great view and used to have a $5 Happy Hour menu. Pesce and XO in Red Hook are also good. Pack your bug spray and apply early and often, it was a wet fall.

THANKS! you know your way around! thanks for the tips!

Dengue, Zika and Chikungunya are not the mementos you want to take home.

what do you mean by this? is there currently an issue? worse than South Florida (where I live)?

you guys are putting Admiralty high on the ranking... I'll be in the north shore :( but I most definitelly give them a call and see if we can work it out.

Thanks!!
Where generally are you staying? Driving down from Hull Bay? area is going to be a long trek to Admiralty/Blue Island since both are in Charlotte Amalie on the waterfront. Maybe as much as an hour with traffic?

I was thinking you were farther north. I've stayed nearby in a condo fronting Sugar Water Bay.

Coki Beach was a walk around the bay to the north- we walked over with gear once - under 10 mins.
Double plus from your resort - I'd drive over instead. Coki DIve

Under a mile south is Red Hook - Red Hook Dive is there in the American Yacht Harbor. They'd be my choice. http://www.redhookdivecenter.com/

Last edited:
THANKS! you know your way around! thanks for the tips!

what do you mean by this? is there currently an issue? worse than South Florida (where I live)?

Yep Sugar Bay is a couple short miles from Red Hook. You can pick up provisions at Moe's Grocery in Red Hook, good produce, cheeses, ready made stuff. Also wine and alcohol upstairs. And if you dive with Red Hook, plenty of restaurants right there to grab lunch afterward.

I worked at the hospital almost a year 2014 - 15 in Finance/Administration positions, met a ton of people, learned my way around. I don't know about the mosquito borne illnesses in South Florida, but I was back on St. T in November, very wet and learned former colleagues had recently been sick. So yes, they are still alive and kicking around. Luckily I never contracted anything during my time, but saw plenty of people come through, staff out for weeks and it isn't something I would wish on anyone.

...And if anyone wants to know what working on St. Thomas was like or is considering running away to a tropical island, "Don't Stop the Carnival" by Herman Wouk should be required reading...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom