Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanVermeulen

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello there!

I am looking for some advice on health insurance for a traveling dive instructor

I am a long term traveling dive instructor with no permanent home/ permanent residence looking for suggestions from people in similar situations or people familiar with health insurance in my case!

I have been traveling for some years now as a dive instructor, I don't have a permanent address, (I use my mums address back home in the Netherlands as a mail address) and looking for options about health insurance.

I am surely not the only one With the same situation but I don't I can't find anything on about it!

What I want is a health insurance (not travel because what will count as travel and what counts as home is complicated and normally gets me turned down by the insurance companies) that will cover me at the place where I am working, Currently I am located in the Solomon islands for the next 6 months but after that I will probably after that I will move to the Maladives.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can tell me what insurance they are using?

We use out of Canada coverage through our Blue Cross when in the U.S. The first 30 days are included, then you pay a lot for extension. Covers "emergencies" only. They say dive accidents are covered. I wouldn't know what to do for everyday coverage --like a simple Dr.'s visit. We make sure we have enough prescription medications before we leave.

I always used the DAN one but I am not sure in how far it really counted...

Sounds like the product you need is what is often called "expat health insurance." I'm not familiar with these policies. GeoBlue has such a product, as I'm sure various others do.

Ertified scuba divers don’t need additional scuba coverage for dives under 30 metres. With our Emergency Medical Travel Insurance, you’ll be covered for dives under 30 metres and for any injury or sickness while scuba diving as long as you’re certified by an internationally recognized program such as PADI or NAUI. For any other certifications, you’ll have to verify first whether your program meets the criteria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom