Healthways history?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the history of the Healthways company? We had an old double-hose "Scuba" regulator donated, just put fresh hoses on it and want to display it with an explanation of where it came from. Thanks!

Healthways was founded in the 1950's by Dick Klein. It went bankrupt in 1963; its successor company is Scubapro. It was one of the five original USA diving gear makers: U.S. Divers, Healthways, Voit, Dacor, Swimaster. Healthways was the first manufacturer to use "scuba" as a word rather than an acronym.

You can read about Healthways and its reincarnation as Scubapro in Sam Miller's account "What's in a name?" at

Dr. Sam Miller - History of SCUBA Diving

There are some period Healthways diving gear advertisements at

Skin Diving History - Healthways - Mfg & Retailers

Finally, I'm puzzled by this recent eBay offering:

!B9y654w!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!lsEy+jC1VezBM6y6h!u7g~~_3.JPG

VINTAGE HEALTHWAYS 1950S 1960 SWIM SCUBA DIVE FINS L on eBay (end time 04-Dec-10 02:00:27 GMT)

If Healthways entered bankruptcy in 1963, how can this "Healthways" fin design be explained? The blade looks as though it is constructed from translucent plastic and the "Healthways" logo is printed in gold on the blade, both characteristics of post-1975 fin development. The only composite - rubber foot pocket, plastic blade - fin of the early 1960s I know is the full-foot Caravelle and the pocket and blade on that fin could be separated. I doubt anybody had the wherewithal in the early 1960s to stick a plastic blade securely to a rubber foot pocket without delamination. Can anybody shed some light on this mystery?

A postscript. I've just checked my copy of "The Complete Outfitting & Source Book for Sport Diving" by Larry Clinton Jr. It's a first edition (1978). One of the book's chapters entitled "Fin Buying Guide" lists three Healthways fins, the Scubamaster, Whaler and Scubafin. The Regulators section lists five Healthways regulators, the Scubair Sonic, Scubair II "J", Scubair II, Scubair and Scuba Star". There's a separate sub-section for Scubapro regulators, so it isn't just Scubapro as the successor company resurrecting the name. What's going on with the continued use of the ""Healthways" brand name beyond 1963 and well into the 1970s if not later?

Thanks to both of you. Is there a way to determine the manufacturing date based on the serial number?

The Healthways brand continued under the patent however when Scubapro purchased the line it was kept seperate for a short interum to maintain sales in the U. S.. KMart continued selling the Healthways through the 70's, At this time the brand name was discontinued and fell under the full auspice of Scubapro as designs improved and rennovations to dive equipment transpired. This is when KMart stopped selling scuba gear as you saw Voit and other manufacturers also being bought by larger companies such as U. S. Divers, Sherwood etc. National retailers saw a very specific consumer target and at the time could not justify their involvement as "Dive Centers" opening and expanding to meet the demand of the consumer.

I worked for Healthways in the early 70's. It was then owned by Eldon Industries. It continued operating several more years both in the US and Canada. As mentioned before it supplied equipment to Sears, KMart, as well as local dive stores.

Scubapro, founded by Dick Bonin and: Gustav Dalla Valle

Scubapro was first set up as the "Pro" line of Healthways. Gustav and Dick shortly became their own separate company. The 1964 catalog had a full range of products and SP embarked on a long term symbiotic relationship with NASDS stores. Prices were uniform throughout the country and a high end brand awareness was established.

Is there a way to determine the manufacturing date based on the serial number?

As a simple vintage equipment snorkeller, I have no expertise in regulators or their history, but you might try the Vintage Double Hose Forum (VDH) at
Vintage Double Hose • Index page
where you will find a link marked "Manuals & Catalogs". If you click that link, you will eventually get through to a page where you can access a complete set of Healthways catalogues for the years 1960-1970. If your regulator was made during that period, you might find your answer there. If not, you may still be able to get further information from forum members here or at VDH.

David

David:

Thank you for the great link. I uploaded all the vintage Healthways catalogs. The memories came flooding back. People, products, and all the rest. It was a lot of fun to meet some of the pioneers and work @ a SCUBA company; still is.

I still have a Healthways Scubair Sonic from around 1962.

Healthways is an interesting company. I started diving in 1959 on a Healthways SCUBA regulator, then got a Healthways Scuba Star as my second regulator. So I have a special place inside for Healthways. In recent years, I've been collecting and trying out the Healthways line. I now have the three Healthways regulators in double hose and in single hose versions. I like the Healthways single hose not for their breathing characteristics, but for the sheer engineering marvel of their first stage and reserve mechanisms. As vintage diving regulators, you don't see this kind of diversity (who else continued having a restrictor orifice as a reserve mechanism?). I put together a hybrid regulator, and wrote about it on Vintage Scuba's website.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom