Who is Herman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @herman

I just remember that the earlier tools that we used (from US Divers, now Aqua Lung) were not tapered. You had to put all the components in it and used the snap-ring tool to compress and place the snap ring on top of the stack of parts. Then you used the plunger to push all of it into the regulator. The snap-ring was already compressed before sliding down.

I remember clearly using the snap-ring tool to pre-position the snap-ring into the insertion tool barrel.

In a way I think that might have helped in not creating shavings, but I am not sure. I just don't remember that being an issue back then. But then again, there are a lot of things I don't remember...
This seems to describe how I was able to use this drill block. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescraft-DrillBlock-Hand-Held-Drill-Guide-1312/204590191
I got everything, including the compressed snap ring, positioned in the drill block just above the regulator body. Then pushed through and held in place with the 1/2" dowel. Slid the drill block up and off and used the dowel and snap ring tool to finalize the placement of the snap ring in its grooves. I think it would be difficult to get shavings from the metal used in that drill guide.

Looks like the “Ace Tool” by Richard Kanner makes the process as simple as possible, and I have two Ace Hardware stores within a ten mile radius! Thanks again to all who responded and especially to @Luis H (and of course, Richard Kanner!)
🐸
Richard, Luis and Herman are all great people. I have dove with each of them and each has taught me stuff about DH regs that I did not know! 😎👀

Sounds like once again I find myself on the wrong coast,

you guys over on the left coast seem to have a lot of knowledge (as well as fellowship) I can only tap into vicariously here in the Far East. Seriously though, I truly appreciate your willingness to share.
At this point, my temporary strategy will be to disassemble as Bryan showed in the video, then put it back together by the “stand off & yoke” method. BTW, my local ACE Hardware had a 1/4” nylon it that should “stand off” nicely… for well under $1! Certainly a cheap enough experiment.

Then, it I really fall in love with doing this kind of work I’ll stop by the machine shop @ the community college where I used to teach and try to duplicate Herman’s design for the stainless guide bushing. @herman, can you advise how much taper I should put in the guide hole?

Have you guys ever fallen down a rabbit hole? I think I just saw a pretty little blonde girl in pink gingham and a white rabbit in a top hat and fancy waistcoat and carrying a big gold watch 🐰🎩⏱️ I’m falling……

🐸

Ummm.... Luis is east coast, Herman is east coast, and a bunch more of us (Alkan comes to mind) are here too...

Bunch in the mid-west too.

We are everywhere but quiet..

Scuba Lawyer talked about diving together with you guys, but I read only one address, which happened to be Scuba Lawyer (who is in Laguna Beach, CA) I did as my Froggie relative do so well and jumped…
to the wrong conclusion! 🥴
So SL, how did you manage to dive with all these “Down Easter’s”? Was it a Scuba Board Event?

the (red faced) Green Frog

So SL, how did you manage to dive with all these “Down Easter’s”? Was it a Scuba Board Event?
Not SB. I attended and subsequently chaired the Sea Hunt Forever event in Silver Springs, Florida for several years. Luis and Herman attended as diving Cast Members (along with many others) and we all dove together acting out for the tourists in the glass-bottom boats the original scripts from the Sea Hunt show diving original gear in the main basin where they filmed many episodes of the show (1958-1961). Richard lives here in Laguna. I have been blessed to meet and dive with many highly knowledgeable vintage divers over the years and learned many things. Having started diving in the late 1960's I guess I'm kinda vintage myself. 😎👀

I only wish I had gotten involved with this merry band a decade or so earlier when I had a few more years of serious diving in me. Ah well, maybe this will inspire me to hold on a while longer. Thanks for the memories and those you’re leading me to try to make yet!
Charlie the 🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom