Who is Herman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I answered him via message but figured I'd chime in. I no longer make tools but last I heard you could get it from Aqualung IF you can get a dealer to order it for you.

One thing I would HIGHLY caution about is making it from anything other than steel, mine were stainless. Reason being is the circlips are pretty hard material and WILL shave of material that is softer than it is. I tried several softer materials and found the clip would shave off parts of the tool and usually deposit them INTO the reg, not a good thing. I did a lot of experimenting before settling on stainless steel. A good bit harder to work with but was much better performance. The tool is tapered, not straight so you can't just bore/ream a hole, it must be cut with a taper.

This is Herman

images

^^^ different monster.

I answered him via message but figured I'd chime in. I no longer make tools but last I heard you could get it from Aqualung IF you can get a dealer to order it for you.

One thing I would HIGHLY caution about is making it from anything other than steel, mine were stainless. Reason being is the circlips are pretty hard material and WILL shave of material that is softer than it is. I tried several softer materials and found the clip would shave off parts of the tool and usually deposit them INTO the reg, not a good thing. I did a lot of experimenting before settling on stainless steel. A good bit harder to work with but was much better performance. The tool is tapered, not straight so you can't just bore/ream a hole, it must be cut with a taper.

I agree, even aluminum ones will show some shavings.

My experience is that seem to fall on top of the filter... or at least those are the ones that we can see. :oops:

Thanks, Herman. I replied to your

I replied to your DM and showed my ignorance of materials! 😜. Thanks for both replies, and I think I’m on the right track now.
🐸

Just so I was clear, the plunger can be most any material , the forcing cone is what must be of a harder material .

You can do a work around without the tool. get a dowel at Home Depot. You want the circlip to be able to go over the dowel and give you room to squeeze the clip. Put the yoke on and the yoke screw in. The dowel will need to be cut a little longer than a dust cap. Put everything in the nozzle except the clip. The clip goes over the dowel and the two go where the dust cap normally goes. The yoke screw works as a press
You can also use the eraser end of a pencil, or a pencil that hasn’t been sharpened. But you press down with your hand, and the yoke screw is taken out.

SeaRat

PS—That was the work around I learned at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967 for servicing the DA Aquamaster. You need a circlip pliers too though.

Hi @herman

I just remember that the earlier tools that we used (from US Divers, now Aqua Lung) were not tapered. You had to put all the components in it and used the snap-ring tool to compress and place the snap ring on top of the stack of parts. Then you used the plunger to push all of it into the regulator. The snap-ring was already compressed before sliding down.

I remember clearly using the snap-ring tool to pre-position the snap-ring into the insertion tool barrel.

In a way I think that might have helped in not creating shavings, but I am not sure. I just don't remember that being an issue back then. But then again, there are a lot of things I don't remember...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom