Heard Submarine While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mooned the tourist sub in Cozumel a few years back....all I saw were these white flashes, so I gave them all something to remember me by.....am I going to hell?

The engine sound was pretty cool until it came into site.

About 25 years ago I got to dive in a military restricted area on Andros Island where there were underwater war games going on.....I was watching four nuclear subs play hide and seek....that was pretty cool...they even launched torpedos that had electronics in them instead of warheads....they killed the torpedos and then they would bob on the surface and a helo would swoop down with a contraption that grabbed the torpedo and they took it into a lab...removed and replaced the electronics and then placed back in service.

I mooned the tourist sub in Cozumel a few years back....all I saw were these white flashes, so I gave them all something to remember me by.....am I going to hell?

The engine sound was pretty cool until it came into site.

About 25 years ago I got to dive in a military restricted area on Andros Island where there were underwater war games going on.....I was watching four nuclear subs play hide and seek....that was pretty cool...they even launched torpedos that had electronics in them instead of warheads....they killed the torpedos and then they would bob on the surface and a helo would swoop down with a contraption that grabbed the torpedo and they took it into a lab...removed and replaced the electronics and then placed back in service.
How'd you manage to get that opportunity? Were you in the Navy or something?

Saw this guy on my trip to Aruba.

View attachment 460900

Not exactly Down Periscope or The Red October but pretty cool to see.

Also my guess it was one of the lifeguard boats that no one in your group noticed. They wouldn't get much attention scooting around out there by anyone, so easy to overlook. See them all the time out by the shores/cove.
That's really cool! That must have been excited when it first came into view.

Yaa I see them too a bunch. I didn't know the boat engines could make so much vibration down there.

-humor-
I think it was possible because he went commando that day.

fortuna fortibus favet
----

That cozumel tourist submarine has a distinctive sound.

According to Google they all have distinctive sound signatures and we can learn them by ear.

Myself, all I'm good at is guessing when it comes to motors underwater is: "wow that's loud" vs. "missed me by a hair".

Cameron

Saw this guy on my trip to Aruba.

View attachment 460900

Not exactly Down Periscope or The Red October but pretty cool to see.

Also my guess it was one of the lifeguard boats that no one in your group noticed. They wouldn't get much attention scooting around out there by anyone, so easy to overlook. See them all the time out by the shores/cove.
I'm toild that "guy" knocked the nose cone off of one of the airplane "wrecks" at the Rennaissnce Airplanes divesite (the one in this video) a few years back and is now banned from getting anywhere close.

I'm toild that "guy" knocked the nose cone off of one of the airplane "wrecks" at the Rennaissnce Airplanes divesite (the one in this video) a few years back and is now banned from getting anywhere close.
Yup the YS-11 (the one in your video) is intact other than the nose, where as the DC-3 is more or less split in 2. Didn’t know about that being due to contact. Just assumed it was removed prior to sinking since it held a bunch of electronics.

I've heard many boats while underwater. I even recognize the sound of a friend's boat. I heard a loud thumping from a cargo ship's propeller once while diving a breakwater. It got so loud that the concussion rattled my chest and the fish began scattering for cover. I surfaced to see how close it was to me. It was close to a mile away. There were no other ships within that distance.

He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.

Yup the YS-11 (the one in your video) is intact other than the nose, where as the DC-3 is more or less split in 2. Didn’t know about that being due to contact. Just assumed it was removed prior to sinking since it held a bunch of electronics.
At least, that's what the DM's and boat captains at JADS told me as to why the sub does not visit the airplanes, while it does go by the Morningstar and Mi Dushi wrecks - I've seen it there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom