Heart attack boarding - Grand Canary Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A scuba diver died earlier this morning (Thursday) after suffering a heart attack whilst getting out of the water onto the dive boat still wearing all his scuba gear, in Mogán in the south of Gran Canaria.

The Emergency Services Coordination Centre (CECOES) have reported that they received an urgent call for assistance from people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR as they have first aid training, but that the 80-year-old man was not responding.

They said that he fainted after getting into the boat from a dive and hadn’t yet come round and that they were heading to Puerto de Mogán.

Once there, medical personnel met the boat and verified that the diver was in cardiorespiratory arrest and began to perform advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation manoeuvres without obtaining any results, and could only confirm his death.

The Local Police collaborated with the emergency services, while the Guardia Civil instructed the corresponding proceedings and took charge of the body until the arrival of the judicial authority who ordered its removal for official identification and autopsy.

Did I read that right? They assumed he fainted and CPR wasn't performed until they met medical personnel?
I don't see how you read that? "The Emergency Services Coordination Centre (CECOES) have reported that they received an urgent call for assistance from people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR as they have first aid training, but that the 80-year-old man was not responding."

It does happen tho. Sometimes bystanders don't try because they are unsure as to how. If someone is not breathing, do it! You won't make things worse.

I don't see how you read that? "The Emergency Services Coordination Centre (CECOES) have reported that they received an urgent call for assistance from people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR as they have first aid training, but that the 80-year-old man was not responding."

It does happen tho. Sometimes bystanders don't try because they are unsure as to how. If someone is not breathing, do it! You won't make things worse.
"They said that he fainted after getting into the boat from a dive and hadn’t yet come round and that they were heading to Puerto de Mogán.

Once there, medical personnel met the boat and verified that the diver was in cardiorespiratory arrest and began to perform advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation manoeuvres without obtaining any results, and could only confirm his death."

I knew a guy that died rolling out on landing during an airshow a few years back. Somehow his brakes locked, the tail lifted, prop bit the runway, and the plane flipped over forward. Died immediately. I thought "at least he went doing what he loved most."

I'd take that anytime over drooling on my hospital smock with a full diaper.

OMMOHY

I knew a guy that died rolling out on landing during an airshow a few years back. Somehow his brakes locked, the tail lifted, prop bit the runway, and the plane flipped over forward. Died immediately. I thought "at least he went doing what he loved most."

I'd take that anytime over drooling on my hospital smock with a full diaper.

OMMOHY
I've often had the idea that if I had a few days left to live, might as well do something like drive a Lamborghini full speed off a ramp off the top of a mountain. (Although, I'd feel bad for anyone who had to clean up that mess)

"They said that he fainted after getting into the boat from a dive and hadn’t yet come round and that they were heading to Puerto de Mogán.

Once there, medical personnel met the boat and verified that the diver was in cardiorespiratory arrest and began to perform advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation manoeuvres without obtaining any results, and could only confirm his death."
I think they could and did administer CPR while heading to Puerto de Mogan. Once they were met by medical personnel they switched to "advanced" CPR which I would assume means an AED. That's how I read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom