Heavy back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biggenz

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver, less than 10 dives and I figured it's time to invest in my own equipment so I don't have to search around for a rental that would fit. Being a big guy it appears my best bet would be a back plate and wing. However, living in the middle of the US my local dive shops help leaves a lot to be desired. So I have two main questions:

1. Do they make heavier back plates than the standard aluminum and steel? My thinking is the heavier the plate the less weight I have to put in my pockets, I typically require about 30lbs. Yes, I am a big guy both tall and around.

2. How easy would it be to piece together a bp/w myself? No shops around me carry any to even try on.

Thanks for your help.

I'd tell you it isn't that hard to set it up yourself, but then I remember that my fundamentals instructor had to fix how I weaved the webbing. It still worked, just not quite right.

But there are on-line references that will get you pretty close if not exact.

I sent my Design Cad specs to Fred Tagge to get a BP that I designed for exactly the same purpose. This isn't an unusual request. Fred has been off the grid for quite a while now.

Why isn't Tobin knocking out big heavy plates?

18" 10#
20" 14#
22" 18#

18 inch long Ten Pounder.jpg

It is not very difficult to add more weight to a plate when you need it. Much harder dealing with a plate that is too heavy. DSS provides that optiion.

I sent my Design Cad specs to Fred Tagge to get a BP that I designed for exactly the same purpose. This isn't an unusual request. Fred has been off the grid for quite a while now.

Why isn't Tobin knocking out big heavy plates?

18" 10#
20" 14#
22" 18#

View attachment 385039
See this is what I would be looking for. However, I have no idea what measurements I wisely need.

Put a standard belt on. Position it where it naturally belongs on you, not where the kids wear them today.

Take your dominant hand, extend it above you and stretch. Keep all your fingers together in a "flat hand". While stretching, bend your arm down and around and touch your spine. Have your SO measure from your fingertips to the top of the belt.

You will be very close to ideal.

It is not very difficult to add more weight to a plate when you need it. ...//...
Yeah, that is a big selling point.

I've come to appreciate a simple plate that fits well and is the proper weight so that ending up with a balanced rig is not only possible but almost unavoidable.

The part of all this that I can't get past is that after all that work designing my doubles plate, my Freedom Plate fits better, feels better, and is now my plate of choice when I just want to enjoy a dive...

I have a heavy FredT I'm willing to let go for a c-note plus shipping. Message me if you're interested. Just the plate: no webbing.

DSS makes different sized plates. Their SS plates are around 6#. And they offer bolt-on weight plates that add another 8# to the plate. The bolt-on weights are only good for use with single tank diving, but that sounds like it will be fine for the OP. A 14# rig plus some weights in trim pockets on the tank straps ought be get about as much weight off your belt as you'd really want.

I have a DSS size Large plate and the bolt-on weights. After having them for a while, my current plan is to replace them with a VDH Universal Back Plate for $75.

Store - Vintage Double Hose

The DSS back plate is very nice quality. But, the VDH plate will position the tank closer to my body. And, what I've found is that exactly 6 or exactly 14 pounds is often not exactly the right amount, so I have to choose between being overweighted or still using additional weights somewhere (or sometimes there is no choice but to be overweighted). And if I'm going to use additional weights somewhere, is it really that big a deal if the extra weight is 4 or 12 pounds more? I've never needed anywhere close to 30#. If I had, I might feel differently. As it is, I think putting 2 trim weight pockets on each tank strap, for a total of 4, and being able to put 5 # in each pocket would mean my rig could be 22# (counting the VDH plate itself). The trim weight pockets would let me distribute the weight however I want. High or low or spread out. So, it's very flexible. And will always let me use exactly the right amount of weight. With a SS BP and a steel tank, I would be overweighted in warm water where I'm wearing no wetsuit. With the VHD plate, not so much.

If the VDH plate works out like I think it will, I'll be selling my DSS plate and bolt-on weights and pocketing some change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom