Heavy-Duty Cone Latex Wrist Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. I have typically used standard bottle-nose latex wrist seals on my drysuit. In replacing the seals I decided to try heavy duty latex wrist seals, assuming simply that the seals would be a thicker latex. What received, however, were cone shaped heavy duty latex wrist seals with the smooth surface on the OUTSIDE rather than on the inside. This would seem to suggest that, unlike my standard latex wrist seals, these heavy duty latex seals should be tucked under so the smooth surface is face down around my wrist. Is this typical for heavy duty latex wrist seals?

Thanks, Mahjong

No latex seals should ever be tucked in. If by "smooth surface" you mean the side without the size rings, while seals are usually mounted ridge side out, the will still work perfectly well ridge side in.

All the suits I have ever seen have the rings inside.

You can get bottle neck heavy duty seals from OS systems.

No latex seals should ever be tucked in. If by "smooth surface" you mean the side without the size rings, while seals are usually mounted ridge side out, the will still work perfectly well ridge side in.

Thanks...Yes, I mean the ridges are on the inside/underside and the outside is super smooth...I will try the seals as is--with the ridges on the inside/underside, but am I correct is assuming, then, that strictly speaking these seals were mounted inside out?

Thanks, Mahjong

Theory is that the ridge will indent into the skin to make a better seal, yet be thin enough to still allow blood flow.

That is one theory anyway.

Thanks...Yes, I mean the ridges are on the inside/underside and the outside is super smooth...I will try the seals as is--with the ridges on the inside/underside, but am I correct is assuming, then, that strictly speaking these seals were mounted inside out?

Thanks, Mahjong

no ridges are on the inside.. each ridge acts like an o-ring.. I used these type seals for many years.. There are more than a few sizes.. its best to get one that fits as closely as possible without cutting..

no ridges are on the inside.. each ridge acts like an o-ring.. I used these type seals for many years.. There are more than a few sizes.. its best to get one that fits as closely as possible without cutting..

I am wondering if you mean:

1. No, the ridges are on the inside

or if you mean:

2. No ridges are ever supposed to be on the inside.

Just wondering as your meaning says one thing and the context says another.

For what it's worth, DUI states the trim lines are supposed to run around the outside of the seal.

In my experience, having the rings on the inside is less comfortable and also interupts the benefits of a long and continuous contact patch on the seal.

Even rougher side of the seal will be smoother than your skin. Even if the inside is very smooth, it does not improve sealing quality unless your skin is that smooth. That smoothness is for decontamination after polluted water diving rather than improving seal quality. This may be the reason why the outside is that smooth.

For what it's worth, DUI states the trim lines are supposed to run around the outside of the seal.

In my experience, having the rings on the inside is less comfortable and also interupts the benefits of a long and continuous contact patch on the seal.
I need to contradict myself.

Oddly enough I noted yesterday when changing my neck seal that the DUI manual says one thing, but the pre-sanded and pre-mounted-on-an-installation-ring DUI neck seal I have is set up so that the trim rings will be on the inside.

Apparently DUI can't make up their mind either.

This also leaves the slicker surface on the wet side of the seal and the flatter finished surface on the inside of the seal, which might make sense as the inside surface then does a slightly better job holding talcum powder when you slide your head through it.

Back
Top Bottom