Heavy Legs Affects My Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get tired of holding that position so I try to correct the physics by placing my weight more correctly for my body and suit. Skill can help correct for poor balance but why not just get it right?

You mean like in this video with a cameo by Pete? (First video I found, but there are tons with proper body positioning. Of course sometimes upside down is proper.)

I had the same problem. I bought a couple of pockets for the tank band and moved weight up there and it completely solved the problem. I use both Aeris Velocity 3X (heavy) and Accel (neutral) fins so I distribute the weight depending. Two thirds on tank with the 3x and half with the Accel.

You just need to learn how to scull. Sculling is different than Finning. It's basically moving your feet in the same motion as if you were treading water with your fins on except doing it while on your stomach so that your feet are upside down. There are usually does good video to learn how to do this. I would check those out. Also I would find an instructor that specializes in cave diving because they could teach this skill most likely better than an open water instructor could. Schooling is also essential to learning how to fin backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, getting your feet up will help, but people who insist that gravity doesn't matter are being a little bit impractical, IMHO. If your weight is balanced, you won't have to fight to stay in a proper swimming position; you'll be able to maintain your position in a true hover with little effort. Before I started using my trim pockets, I could get into a proper position (horizontal, arms forward, feet up) and hold still, and within a few seconds I would be vertical, feet down. Not cool!

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that you can put an ankle weight or even two (if you're wearing tons of neoprene) on the top of your tank, using ankle weights, similar to these: Ankle Weights (1 Pair) by Durward Scuba Diving Soft Wei - Weights : House of Scuba

Because of the nature of leverage (weight * lever length), moving just a little bit of weight up to the top of the tank, farther from your center of gravity, can have as much of an effect as moving twice as much weight up to a trim pocket.

I personally end up having just over half of my weight in the dump-able hip pockets, 1/3 in the trim pockets, and 2-4lbs (depending on wetsuit) on the tank neck, below the regulator. It works so well for me, that I bring the ankle weights on vacation. The DMs and so on are happy as long as there's enough weight in the dump-able pockets to make you reasonably buoyant if you have to drop the weights in an emergency.

I think a lot of you are arguing past one another.

You cannot fight physics. The body underwater experiences a mixture of forces which are lifting it (positive) and forces which are sinking it (negative). If those forces are properly aligned, the body will remain in position at rest; if they are not, the body will rotate until they are. If a diver is good body position (which has a significant effect on the position in which one will come to rest) and, when motionless, notes that his feet sink, then too much lift is high on the body, or too much weight is low on it. The wetsuit diver has limited options for correcting this: They can change fins, move the tank, or move whatever lead they wear. The dry suit diver has a little more flexibility, by being able to position the air in the suit -- but it's a double-edged sword, because too much air in the feet can make the boots come off, or can seriously complicate an ascent.

Almost ANY combination of equipment can be balanced, with some effort, if enough actual lead ballast is involved. The people who get into serious issues are the ones diving warm with no exposure protection, who have nothing to move -- a set of negative fins can compel a feet-down position in that case, because one simply can't move the tank up high enough to balance them. But someone wearing the amount of neoprene you are describing ALWAYS has plenty of lead to move around. The trick is to figure out where to put it. But one must first be sure that body position isn't defeating the purpose -- a diver who is flexing at the hips and allowing the legs to drop below them that way will always end up out of trim.

The precise nature of the BC is irrelevant, and aluminum tanks can sometimes even make the job easier, by requiring more lead ballast that can be moved.

Achieving good body position AND locating weight correctly is what I believe Diver0001 is describing as good technique. Several other posters have not included the weight positioning as a component of technique, which is why I think you are arguing with one another. The best body position and finning technique in the world will not balance an unbalanced gear composition, and the best diver in the world will be unable to be motionless if the gear is sufficiently maldistributed.

BTW, here is Rob, diving in gear which was entirely new to him. The only thing he is wearing of his own is his mask:

28760_4794712826589_963813138_n.jpg
Edited to add that he's the one in trim . . . :)

I see lots of good advice mentioned already. I am also foot heavy with wetsuit, from 3mm to 7mm farmer john. After fixing posture and technique, I can trim out if I extend my arms all the way forward, but this isn't very comfortable. I switched to light fins for wetsuit diving, that is OMS slip stream. In tropical water, I opted for AL backplate so that I can add weight on the top cam band to help me trim out. Before you go to a equipment solution, I suggest to have friend video you in water to see if you are doing what you think you are doing. Fixing posture can help a great deal with single tank.

Sorry, but I do have to take issue with those who think that this is nothing but a skills or weighting problem.

There is such a thing as heavy legs. In particular, people who participate in sports such as cycling and skiing tend to have over-developed legs with very little buoyancy. If you don't have them yourself, it's easy to criticize the problem as being one of overall trim, over-weighting and/or deficient arching/clenching skills.

Yes, these issues are important, and it is critical to have them dialed. If your legs are not too heavy, working with these may get you all the way to perfect trim.

For me, getting these issues sorted got me maybe 90% of the way to good trim. But it was still a lot of work to keep my feet up, so I'd break at the hips when task loaded, and my feet would drop.

Neutral fins solved the last 10% of the problem.

Gear can't solve everything, but sometimes the right equipment gives you just the extra "bump" you need to reach a goal, or increase your comfort.
Where I agree with everything you are saying 100% in theory.I have to just remind you of the status of the OP.
Ie the OP isn't yet actually qualified. So the most likely cause of "heavy legs" is trim and gear setup.
So I say don't spend money on new gear untill trying shifting weight around.

so...what's the consensus on this?

I'm asking because I have large muscular legs and am also still in the process of learning to get trim correctly. So far, I haven't noticed "heavy leg syndrome" :D ....but hey, it could be hiding behind other trim problems I'm having.

Dan

Knfmkr it's pretty difficult to diagnose on Scubaboard, if you can't tell us what the problem is! :D The best advice is to get an instructor or a very experienced diver to work with you. They can watch you swim around and (try to) hover, and give you things to try. It's part knowledge, part trial and error, part technique and practice. I personally found it worthwhile to take the Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty. Maybe your OW instructor can give you some tips before you "graduate" OW.

Back
Top Bottom