Heavy Legs Affects My Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmkr, as I wrote above, it all depends on where you are and how much exposure protection you use. With our students in Puget Sound, who are encased in thick neoprene, we have FAR more trouble with floaty legs than with sinking ones, regardless of body type. But most of our students end up in plastic fins, too -- if they used rubber fins, which are negative, they'd balance better.

I've been using shorty suits for the confined dives. So far so good. No sinking leg issues.
I do adopt the trim position pictured above (with my feet elevated/knees bent) and I do just fine. Last class went very well...was able to hover 12" above the bottom while moving forward.
I've found I like my tank a little higher on my back. I have no idea what that does to help, but it feels so much better underwater than if it's down a couple inches.
So, I guess what I'm saying is that despite having heavy legs like the OP, I don't seem to be sharing the same problems.

I also have a heavy leg problem, I use SP Jetfins, jacket BCD, and thermocline suits.

During my last dive with my OW instructor, he said to shake the BCD, so the air inside it will be evenly distributed....
True enough, after struggling with trim in the beginning to middle of dive, my trim is improved in the end of dive, after shake the air inside the BCD.

In that dive I use 3 standard weight lead (@ 2 pound). I dive in the freshwater. I put all the wight in the weight belt.

I wonder how to distribute the weight evenly, example, if i dive in the salt water I will require 5-6 weight, it is too much in the weight belt.
Is it possible to put weight in the tank straps?

Regards
CJ

I also have a heavy leg problem, I use SP Jetfins, jacket BCD, and thermocline suits.

During my last dive with my OW instructor, he said to shake the BCD, so the air inside it will be evenly distributed....
True enough, after struggling with trim in the beginning to middle of dive, my trim is improved in the end of dive, after shake the air inside the BCD.

In that dive I use 3 standard weight lead (@ 2 pound). I dive in the freshwater. I put all the wight in the weight belt.

I wonder how to distribute the weight evenly, example, if i dive in the salt water I will require 5-6 weight, it is too much in the weight belt.
Is it possible to put weight in the tank straps?

Regards
CJ

You can buy after market pockets that you can put on the tank strap. I will allow you to put 1-2lb weights on either side of the tank (they have to be balanced). You can also thread it onto the tank strap but it's not my favorite way to do that because it can affect how well the strap holds the tank.

Another way is to use a loose tank strap (you can buy them loose or remove one from an old BCD). Thread a 1-2lb block (or two) onto the strap and then you can attach it pretty much anywhere along the length of the tank you want.

Finally, some BCD's have trim pockets behind the shoulders. What is the make and model of your BCD? It's possible that there are trim pockets there but that you haven't seen them because you have to lift up the bladder to access them.

R..

You can buy after market pockets that you can put on the tank strap. I will allow you to put 1-2lb weights on either side of the tank (they have to be balanced). You can also thread it onto the tank strap but it's not my favorite way to do that because it can affect how well the strap holds the tank.

Another way is to use a loose tank strap (you can buy them loose or remove one from an old BCD). Thread a 1-2lb block (or two) onto the strap and then you can attach it pretty much anywhere along the length of the tank you want.

Finally, some BCD's have trim pockets behind the shoulders. What is the make and model of your BCD? It's possible that there are trim pockets there but that you haven't seen them because you have to lift up the bladder to access them.

R..

Hi Diver0001

I use Aqualung Wave, I keep use (rent) the same BCD since my OW.

Regards
CJ

Yeah, the wave is very basic, I don't believe it has the trim pockets behind the shoulders.

What you need is a couple of these: (see picture below)

You can put them on any BCD and you can attach one or two of them to a separate cam band so you can position it anywhere along the length of the tank that you need it.

R..

14947.jpg

Thanks for the picture. :)

Yap. Wave is a basic BCD used by new divers in local dive clubs here.
Surely, one day i will purchase my own BCD, back inflate BCD maybe...

Regards
CJ

Back
Top Bottom