Height vs Tanks Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Wanted to get an opinion of body height vs tanks size. My partner is 163cm tall (short) and have dived with Faber 10.5L (85cf) comfortably in the past. Am thinking of purchasing a tank for her (sick of hiring), would you think she's too short for a Faber 12.2L (100cf)? Have been told taller tanks may have an adverse effect on shorter people?

Thanks in advance.

Quick math is 5'-2" imperial, My wife is about that height and loves her PST 100s.

Length will have a effect on trim but in general I think tall people are more bothered by short cylinders than is the case with shorter folks and longer cylinders. The relative concentration of mass eems to be a lot of the problem.

Without me researching models it's hard to say but if this is going from LP to HP there may not be that much real difference.

Pete

I'm about her height. I'm good in a set of twin 12s. She'll be fine

Ratio of tank size to body height is more a factor of personal preference and dive environment/situation, than a standardized formula...I'm 6'4" and use a variety of tanks [lp, hp, al, 72's, 80's, 100's, singles, doubles etc ]...Some times w/a deco bottle and/or bail-out bottle...It's really what works best for the individual in the particular environment they'll be diving.......

I have no issue diving any size tank , but carrying them is another story. I'm short (164cm) and to carry normal 12l tanks I have to bend my arms or the tanks drag on the ground. I envy those who can just carry them with straight arms! If I could turn back the clock I would have bought stumpy 12s.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. Totally understood that sometimes it's up to personal perference in regards to preferred tank size, I would prefer to be able to order right now so I have a chance to have it before the Christmas holiday. Which means we won't have time to test one in the water.

Good point Maples, unfortunately I'll be the one doing the carrying!! Well, at least I have a trolly for that.

I'm shorter than your wife and tank size does matter more in AL tanks, since they're longer and often hit either the head or legs of shorter divers, 163 cm included. LP steel tanks are in-between. In HP steel tanks, the lengths are usually shorter and not an issue. HP steels are a lot heavier though, and for me personally, I can't carry more than a HP steel 80. It would be personal preference and comfort.

This really depends on your wife's personal preferences and comfort level, her typical air consumption, and what types of diving she does and will be doing in the near future.

BTW, I think this should stay in the basic forum because choosing a tank size for an individual is a basic need of newer or less experienced divers.

Hi All,

Wanted to get an opinion of body height vs tanks size. My partner is 163cm tall (short) and have dived with Faber 10.5L (85cf) comfortably in the past. Am thinking of purchasing a tank for her (sick of hiring), would you think she's too short for a Faber 12.2L (100cf)? Have been told taller tanks may have an adverse effect on shorter people?

Thanks in advance.

If the LP85 and the 100cft tanks you're referring to are the same as in the U.S., the 100 is shorter. Faber LP 85 is 7" in diameter and about 26" long, the faber FX100 (I assume that's the one you're looking at) is 7.25" in diameter and about 25" long. So it should be no problem. If the tank sizes are different in your part of the world, sorry I can't offer any help!

Thanks everyone for the continued input. The faber 85 / 100 I'm referring to are both LP and are of the same diameter except for 100 is taller.

Below are dimensions that I've gathered online:

10.5L / 85cf
Length: 560mm (~22inch)
Diameter: 178mm (~7inch)
Weight: 11.3kg

12.2L / 100cf
Length: 625mm (~25inch)
Diameter: 178mm (~7inch)
Weight: 12.9kg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom