Heinrichs Weikamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HW doesn't sell in USA, probably because there are too many lawyers and HW is a small company who cannot manage a lot of dealers.
They don't advertise at all.
Another aspect : the OSTC MKII/2N is an "open" computer. You can change a lot of settings, but you NEED to know why, so you have to be fully competent in decompression procedures (gradient factors and Bulhmann).
Default settings are OK, of course.

I'm actually afraid.
Beginners want to buy OSTC, but they don't know decompression procedures.
These beginners asked to have NDL and safety stops on the OSTC. :shakehead: (a trimix computer ! )

As I'm a recreational diver only and decided to get a Frog. Sent a few emails to HW which were always very quickly replied to. Placed my order and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've been looking at Liquivision but felt better about HW for some reason.

I'm actually afraid.
These beginners asked to have NDL and safety stops on the OSTC. :shakehead: (a trimix computer ! )

I do not see how (not) knowing deco procedures has any relevance to someone wishing to buy an OSTC for rec purposes. I did notice the somewhat hostile know-it-better responses by some posters on the HW support forum to those requests. Sad really.

I do not see how (not) knowing deco procedures has any relevance to someone wishing to buy an OSTC for rec purposes. I did notice the somewhat hostile know-it-better responses by some posters on the HW support forum to those requests. Sad really.
OSTC is NOT for rec purposes. It's for, at least, (nitrox or) advanced nitrox divers.
when i see the quantity of questions here from people who want to learn deco by listening beeps on their computers, i will really afraid if they got an OSTC.
they will change any setting, they will have an accident, and after, they will say "the computer is the culprit"

Perhaps something was lost in the translation, but I don't know any recreational divers that do decompression dives :)

quoted from the BW website:
"the frog is intended for decompression dives of recreational divers"

Over here in the EU, deco is part of the rec (read 'normal') procedure, starting from the 2nd star. That's why a direct conversion PADI -> CMAS is not possible except for the OWD -> 1st *.

Over here in the EU, deco is part of the rec (read 'normal') procedure, starting from the 2nd star. That's why a direct conversion CMAS <-> PADI is not possible except for the 1* <-> OWD.

I figured it was something like that (hence the smiley face). I knew I should have done my OW in Europe :)

I have the OSTC 2N. It is a brilliant computer, cheap considering it is full Trimix and closed circuit. The software is regularly updated with added features. I have not seen the Frog, but reading the manual and knowing the quality of the OSTC 2N, I think it is probably the best non-tech computer available.

You can safely order via the link on their web site. Great service, although the delivery from Germany to Australia was a lot slower than I expected as it appears the DHL delivery is actually via normal post. Any questions, post here.

According to the website, Southern Cross Divers are the Aussie distributor - maybe they could have shipped it quicker? I'm in the UK and bough mine from Deep Ideas. They are the only HW distributor in the UK but their customer service and delivery is excellent. I ordered mine online at about 1:00pm and it was delivered the next day (plus they put sweets in the box with it too!). They seem to have distributors worldwide.

I was chatting to one of the staff in my LDS about it. He said he has one and loves it but unfortunately they cannot sell them there as they will only sell at trade prices to Deep Ideas.

I've done some reading around some European diving forums and HW seem to have a good reputation both for qaulity of product and customer service. I wonder why they don't seem so popular/known outside of the EU, marketing? the prices certainly seem attractive.

I heard about them from a UK diving forum. I have not seen any adverts anywhere. Their reputation seems to come mostly via word of mouth.

HW doesn't sell in USA, probably because there are too many lawyers and HW is a small company who cannot manage a lot of dealers.
They don't advertise at all.
Another aspect : the OSTC MKII/2N is an "open" computer. You can change a lot of settings, but you NEED to know why, so you have to be fully competent in decompression procedures (gradient factors and Bulhmann).
Default settings are OK, of course.

I'm actually afraid.

Interesting! Apparently they sell photography kit but no computers via the following distributor:

USA
Reef Photo & Video
3320 NE 32nd Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

The OSTC does give NDL time and I understand safety stops can be added by a software update. I use mine for deco dives and recreational dives without any problems. It displays bottom time to the second so it is easy to ascend to 5 metres and time it yourself.

This is the likely answer...

OSTC is NOT for rec purposes. It's for, at least, (nitrox or) advanced nitrox divers.
when i see the quantity of questions here from people who want to learn deco by listening beeps on their computers, i will really afraid if they got an OSTC.
they will change any setting, they will have an accident, and after, they will say "the computer is the culprit"

There are several settings that can be changed by the user and I suppose HW would prefer inexperienced divers didn't use it in case they tamper too much. You could however use it quite safely straight out of the box.

I figured it was something like that (hence the smiley face). I knew I should have done my OW in Europe :)

If you do a PADI OW in Europe, they will not teach you deco, however, some agencies teach it at recreational level. BSAC teach it at Sports Diver level but I don't think they do on the entry level Ocean Diver course. I'm not sure what other European agencies teach. BSAC teach you the 'BSAC 88' decompression tables. I have not studied them but I understand they are extremely conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom