Heip at Singapore Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cajuncru Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are flying back to US on Oct. 24 after 3 weeks in Bunaken and Lembeh with Two Fish. Have a 9 1/2 hr. layover on return in Singapore. Saw tours were available but we arrive at 5:00pm after they stop running them. Anyone know of availability of getting out of the airport to do some sightseeing? Or an alternative way to kill 9 hours (ok Scubaboard buddies, keep it clean now!:rofl3:)

Since you will be arriving around dinner time, I would suggest taking a taxi to the Boat Quay. This is an area right on the Singapore River that is now home to a lot of restaurants, bars and shops. It is a very active area for both Singaporeans and tourists. It is also a great place to just lounge. The airport is not far from the boat quay, maybe 8 to 10 miles. So, easily reachable by taxi.

The other major tourist attractions are the zoo (they do have a night safari) and Sentosa Island. Both are worth going to see, however, with your limited amount of time, it might be a bit too rushed.

if the taxi is a little to high priced.. u can take the MRT to clark quay as mention..

Book a room in the transit hotel in the airport. We did this on our way to Raja Ampat. It was around $50. On the way home we stayed at a hotel near the river and went to the Boat Quay for dinner and walked around...kind of like River Walk in San Antonio

Thanks guys, since we are interested in seeing whatever we can I think we will pass on booking a room, but the Boat Quay and restaurants, bars and shops sounds just like what we are looking for. I understand that we can leave the airport, clear immigration, etc, and don't need a visa or anything other than our passports and outbound ticket to get back in, is that correct?:confused:

U.S. passport holders can enter and stay in Singapore for up to 90 days without any visa. I have entered Singapore on my U.S. passport without any visa.

That is correct. Passing immigration at Changi is as easy as it gets. I would not opt for Boat Quay myself, but perhaps it's because I passed too many Friday nights there already. I'd be thinking of dinner at East Coast or someplace authentic (and a little on the seedy side) in Geylang, drinks on Mohamed Sultan Road, or maybe Singapore Slings at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel. Touristy? Yes, but you're a tourist.

Thanks again guys, that was my understanding but I just wanted to confirm with someone who had done it. Have to think about that seedy side, don't know if my bride, CajunDiva, would go for that :rofl3:

Changi airport is just brilliant. So quick and efficient! Definitely take a cab, MRT is dirt cheap but will eat badly into those 9 hours. Cabs in Sing are also not very expensive.
Boat quay is a good call. Try the chilli crab! I would also suggest hopping on one of the little boat tours up and down the river. They run till quite late and is a great way to see most of the "sights" of Singapore in a short amount of time (boat tour is max an hour). And at night with all the lights it will be pretty.
If you have time a Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel is as smart as you can get.
As for shopping.... well Orchard Road has it all! I'm sure Diva will love it!
Singapore is an amazing City!! Been here three years and loving it still!
The above are super touristy but given you only have a few hours and are a tourist... well you may as well hit the big attractions.

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a plan!!

Changi airport is just brilliant. So quick and efficient! Definitely take a cab, MRT is dirt cheap but will eat badly into those 9 hours. Cabs in Sing are also not very expensive.
Boat quay is a good call. Try the chilli crab! I would also suggest hopping on one of the little boat tours up and down the river. They run till quite late and is a great way to see most of the "sights" of Singapore in a short amount of time (boat tour is max an hour). And at night with all the lights it will be pretty.
If you have time a Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel is as smart as you can get.
As for shopping.... well Orchard Road has it all! I'm sure Diva will love it!
Singapore is an amazing City!! Been here three years and loving it still!
The above are super touristy but given you only have a few hours and are a tourist... well you may as well hit the big attractions.

Back
Top Bottom