Heip at Singapore Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you guys give us just a bit more advice? Since I am the accountant in the family :admingreet: I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with us. Since we'll be visiting Singapore on the way back from diving Bunaken/Lembeh, we need to make sure we have enough cash left to explore Singapore a bit. Can we use US dollars to pay for a taxi or do we need to exchange money in Singapore? Any clue APPROXIMATELY how much cab fare would be to the Quay from the airport? I'm relatively certain a credit card will be fine for restaurants and shopping...

Thanks from the Indonesia newbies :wink:

You will need to get Singapore dollars. I guess taxi fare to Changi from Boat Quay is about S$20. (S$25 the other way.) Fare increases by 50% after midnight (but taxis then become easy to get), and there are added fees for booking a cab, entering the central business district, rides during peak hours, and the ride originating at the airport. I think most--if not all--Singapore taxis accept credit cards. If you eat at a hawker center--and you should--you will need cash also.

In general, prices are pretty high in Singapore these days, so expect to pay NY-style prices. The S$ has gotten a little bit cheaper this week, at least.

I used to be a travel writer...it's a safe assumption you'll hear from me :wink:

And if you don't feel like waiting until AFTER the trip to see what's happening, I will be blogging on my site:

The Adventures of CajunDiva - Indonesia Blog beginning on or about 7 October.

Please forgive the incomplete state of the site, but it's something I am just getting started with and thought the blog would be a good way to keep in touch with the family while we are in Indonesia so we can share some of our spectacular experiences with them :D

Sounds interesting...what's the night safari :confused:

Never mind - I'm sure you mean the real safari at the zoo! I thought maybe there was some kind of "night safari" festival or something :D

While we love animals, since we only have a short time in Singapore we would probably prefer sampling a bit of the local culture. We're thinking about a quick trip to the boat quay, but would prefer to save a few bucks and sample the MST trains. Wonder how much longer it would take to get there on a train?

It will take you at least an hour to get to Boat Quay on the MRT and then you still have to find your way around vs 30min max by taxi dropping you right in front. AND the view from the taxi is far better.
I would definietely highly recommend taking the taxi. It is very easy to exchange a few dollars at the airport. Vladimir is pretty much spot on for normal off peak travel time. But as you will be traveling at peak times & after 12 I'd say put aside S$25-30 for each way.
Singapore is not cheap. Beer at a restaurant is S$10! And a Singapore Sling at Raffles is S$35! Crazy Crazy! But the experience is worth the $$. If you budgeted S$250 for everything (taxi and food/ drink and the boat tour) that should be enough, assuming you dont order another round of slings! Shopping.... well Diva ... only you would know how much you want to spend on that!!!!

Thanks so much for all the great advice! I must confess (and I'm not even blonde!) to some confusion...I totally misunderstood the exchange rate. I thought Singapore dollars were higher than USD and it would actually cost us MORE than the prices you are stating. But now I get it :shakehead:

Taxi it is! And honestly, the overall budget is not the problem...as long as we can use a credit card there is no problem. I'm just trying to figure out what we'll need CASH money for so we don't get caught short. And speaking of cash...is tipping customary in Singapore? If so, what % is expected :confused:

Also AlMitch...how far is Raffles Hotel (& Singapore Slings!) from Boat Quay?

I must confess (and I'm not even blonde!) to some confusion...I totally misunderstood the exchange rate. I thought Singapore dollars were higher than USD and it would actually cost us MORE than the prices you are stating. But now I get it :shakehead:
You don't have to be blonde to find currency quotes confusing. Australian Dollars, for example, are quoted in USD/AUD. Similarly, the Pound and the Euro are quoted in USD/GBP and USD/EUR, respectively. On the other hand, the Singapore Dollar is quoted in SGD/USD, and the Swiss Franc, Japanese Yen, Chinese Renminbi and most others are quoted similarly, with the USD in the denominator. Why the difference? :idk:

And speaking of cash...is tipping customary in Singapore? If so, what % is expected :confused:
10% will be tacked on to your restaurant bill. It is customary to add nothing to that. I always tip taxi drivers, but I'm often left with the distinct feeling that I'm the only one who does. Bellhops get S$2 per bag from me. In general, there is no tipping culture among the locals.

Back
Top Bottom