Helios 10 W Light Head - No O-Ring?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was diving this weekend, and my head looked like it had some moisture under the crystal. We're not talking slosh-around water...but it was sort of damp. It worked great all weekend, but it seemed a little funky.

So I got home, popped it open, and didn't find an O-ring. Is this head supposed to have an O-ring? I've have over 50 dives on it, and I've never opened it up before now. Just wondering.

Thanks -

Ken

Buried in the light body. Interesting place for it.

Mod - you can remove these posts.

Or leave them here so everyone can see what a dolt I am...

K

The o-ring is in a groove in the lighthead body... it seals against the face of the glass.

any moisture will cause the polished SS reflector to cloud over and reduce the output of the light so make sure you have things dried out but do not try to wipe the reflector... rinsing it in fresh water and allowing it to air dry after patting dry with lense tissues might be in order if you think saltwater got in there some how.

The bezel ring needs to screw down tight onto the glass to hold it against the o-ring... pressure will do this on a dive but if the ring isn't screwed down tight the light will leak near the surface.

added after your post: I don't think we need to delete this... someone else might be wondering the same thing.

Not too cloudy, but a bit. I'm doing a Fresh Water rinse. Salt water got in there, for sure...nice smell when I opened the thing.

The bezel sort of mashes the lens/crystal thingy against the O-ring. I'll need to be sure to keep it tight. Is there any plus to lubricating the O-ring?

Thanks-

Ken

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Not too cloudy, but a bit. I'm doing a Fresh Water rinse. Salt water got in there, for sure...nice smell when I opened the thing.

The bezel sort of mashes the lens/crystal thingy against the O-ring. I'll need to be sure to keep it tight. Is there any plus to lubricating the O-ring?

Thanks-

Ken

You really have to check the bezel every so often. My light clouded up on a dive with some slight moisture on the lens. I thought "oh crap" i just flooded my light. When i checked the bezel sure enough it was at least half a turn loose, just enough to let a drop or so of water in. Now i check it at least once a day when diving. I cleaned up the lens and reflector and it has worked great since. Lucky me :D

Back
Top Bottom