Hellcat? Hell, yeah! (an adventure to the F6F Hellcat off Kihei, Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry about the water being too polluted to dive in this area. I'm pretty sure it's just fine to dive in. If you're worried about it, don't go. If you do go, rinse off afterwards. Looks like a cool 'once in a while' dive to me.

I wouldn't worry about the water being too polluted to dive in this area. I'm pretty sure it's just fine to dive in. If you're worried about it, don't go. If you do go, rinse off afterwards. Looks like a cool 'once in a while' dive to me.

Well said... I know I am from half way around the states, but well said... Kris thanks for the photos. I'll bet you suck the air down at first sight, WOW what a feeling of excitement you must have had...

You're welcome.

It was a great find.

Just a reminder, guys... please follow the "leave only bubbles, take only memories & photos" policy here... I've come under a bit of fire locally for having disclosed precise location because of a fear of collectors ruining the site and taking everything they can strip from the wreck. Personally, I'd like to trust that people aren't that lame and will leave things in place just as they would on any other site. :)

I used to work for the project that investigated the Kihei algae blooms, and know several of the people involved. Some of the results are scary! But thousands of people do go swimming there every day and few of them get sick (knock on wood). It would seem that the Hellcat wreck is outside the injection wells' influence since the coral looks healthy and there's not much algae.

I used to work for the project that investigated the Kihei algae blooms, and know several of the people involved. Some of the results are scary! But thousands of people do go swimming there every day and few of them get sick (knock on wood). It would seem that the Hellcat wreck is outside the injection wells' influence since the coral looks healthy and there's not much algae.
There is some algae in closer -- the long shallow stretch had it clinging to rocks, but we couldn't tell how much of the poor viz was stirred up silt/sand and how much was algae.

That said, I've probably seen more algae on dives at Ulua than I do here.

Kris,
How awesome! You'll have to take me out there next time I come over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom